Single, Two and Variable Speed Hayward Pumps

thadius65

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 30, 2011
Bloomsburg, PA
Hello all. Noob on the forums, but have spent the last few days checking the site out. Great deal of information!

We are in the final stages of PB selection for an IGP. Looking to go 18x36 Mountain Pond. Natural gas heat, Nature 2 and Chlorine. Have many questions I am researching, but one currently is the pump. East Coast (PA), so 5-6 month use. Will two or variable speed pumps provide me with any benfits/savings?

Thanks!

Ted

How much is your power per kwh?
Do you have any water features that would benefit from a variable speed.
Usually a 2-speed is best unless your electric rates are high or you have some features that will benefit from it.

Oh yeah, you didn't ask but ditch the Nature². Read Pool School about alternative sanitizers. You don't need it. Look at a swcg or injection system.

Bama,

Thanks for the info. I just found it searching more. Rates are in under .10 per KWH, so sounds as if 2-speed is the path. No water features other than I will be using the DIY PVC type "Pool Cooler".

With regards to Nature2, I only asked for it due to extreme luck with it in my Hotsprings tub for past two years. Chlorox and N2 is all I need. Figured it would work as well with pool and a Hayward CL200 Chlorinator. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Ted

Has there been enough time to determine impact to:

Pumps (Hayward SP2607X102S)
Concrete around pool
Fixtures (ladders, patio furniture)

Are these non-issues?

Beyond those concerns - the $2300 initial charge and the ongoing every three or so year $400 cell... do you really break even?

Pump and salt: no issue at all.
Concrete and salt: no issue at all.
Ladders and such: no issue at all if made relatively recently. Older products have issues every once in a very long while.
Patio furniture: mixed. Most people don't have issues, but every now and then someone has serious problems. More of an issue in areas with little rainfall.

$2300 is way more than it ought to cost for a SWG installed. With more reasonably priced units, most people at least come close to breaking even, and a fair number save a noticeable amount.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.