Pool out of balance! Pool party this weekend!

sprede

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 26, 2011
Nebraska
Ok I have read a lot of the pool school so I think I know what my issue is but want to post the results and what I think I need to do to fix it.

TH - 200
FC - 0 OMG!
PH - 8.4
TA - 240
CYA - 0
Copper - 0.2
Salt - 5.8/2450

Ok so I think my first step is to get the salt in the pool up to speed right? Then the PH and then do another test? Please let me know if I am going abou this correct. Off to Wally World to get some salt since I know for a fact I need it.

You need to lower your pH to around 7.4 using muriatic acid. I would then get you some stabilizer and raise your CYA to 30. I would then raise your FC to a minimum of 3 with bleach, higher would be better. Retest, and post your results.

Use the Pool Calculator (link in my signature line) to calculate your dosages. Bookmark this tool on your computer and you should be able to come back to it as needed.

Ok so got my salt and got some hth pH minus and because I was out and didn't see your post till now I got some hth Super shock 'n swim. So the pH minus is in the pool now, I used about 9 ounces according to the chart on the container. About how long before retesting?

Ok so here are my results as of right now.

TH - 200
FC - Still Zero
pH - about 7.2 hard to tell on these strips
TA - 180
CYA - Still 0

Off to wally world again to get some bleach and stabilizer :)

Ah man, test strips? I'm sorry but the use of test strips has been strictly prohibited! :hammer: They have been found to be very inaccurate! You really need to order a proper test kit. There is a link at the bottom of my post in my signature for a good test kit and you will also find links in the pool school. Once you get the PH down, the CYA up, and some chlorine in the pool you will need to do an overnight test to see if you pool was just out of wack or if you have something going on in there. Of course, you will need the test kit for the overnight test so go get it ordered. Oh, I highly recommend getting a speed-Stir as well. Very handy! Welcome to TFP, the water's great here! :wave:

Ya just joined not to long ago and will order that test kit soon but as for now test strips it is, I have no other choice. Please check my work before I go adding bleach to my pool if you can, went to the pool calculator and says for my size salt water pool with ZERO chlorine I need to add 18 oz of bleach does that sound right? doesnt seem like enough?

For a 4400 gallon pool, raising the FC from 0 to 3 ppm would require 27 ounces of 6% bleach.
[attachment=0:16onxvkl]pccapture.JPG[/attachment:16onxvkl]

Attachments

• pccapture.JPG
    pccapture.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 285
Ok added the bleach and the stabalizer for the CYA. I can run my filter for about another hour then I need to turn it off (exceed my 12 hours recommended run time). Should I just take another measurement tomorrow moring or do another one in about 1 hour? Also, it has been extreamly hot here, like 112 with heat index. The pool temp right now is 95 and today is the coolest day in 2 weeks (88). Could the heat of the water be an issue and if so what to do?

Oh bye the way, I just donated to your site. You guys have been awesome helping me out so far! I have no dought that my pool water will be perfect once we are done. Thanks Thanks and Thanks again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sportsman said:
frogabog, my guess is some shocking will be needed before kicking the SWG in.

Kinda what I was thinking. Lets get it squared away first, make sure we have no CC or overnight loss, and then go from there. If need be, he can run it as a regular chlorine pool for his party and then dial everything in later with the SWCG.

Hey Sprede, since you've donated PM Jason for a discount code for the TF-100 test kit. Might as well get a little good out of your kindness. :)

I also agree that you're most likely going to have to shock.
Also with the test strips they're not accurate at all on the CYA number so I wouldn't raise it too much till you get a good test kit.

Good morning you all. So I tested my pool this morning and this is what I got (with the test strips):

TH - 200
FC - STILL ZERO! WTH!!! I can smell the bleach in the pool
PH - 6.8
TA - 80
CYA - 0
Salt - 3120

Ok so according to the strips things are changing, I can see the water is more clear this morning. I did turn my system on which also turns on the SWG and now after reading the posts I think I need to turn it off. I will have to get my wife to do when she gets up, hopefully soon. Nothing will happen to the SWG if it is on right now right?

My guess is you are smelling CC not FC. If that is the case, you will need to start the shocking process. As has been mentioned, you really need a better test kit. It will save you time and money.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.