Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pool out of balance! Pool party this weekend!

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool out of balance! Pool party this weekend!

Ok I have read a lot of the pool school so I think I know what my issue is but want to post the results and what I think I need to do to fix it.

TH - 200
    FC - 0 OMG!
    PH - 8.4
    TA - 240
    CYA - 0
    Copper - 0.2
    Salt - 5.8/2450

Ok so I think my first step is to get the salt in the pool up to speed right? Then the PH and then do another test? Please let me know if I am going abou this correct. Off to Wally World to get some salt since I know for a fact I need it.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool out of balance! Pool party this weekend!

You need to lower your pH to around 7.4 using muriatic acid. I would then get you some stabilizer and raise your CYA to 30. I would then raise your FC to a minimum of 3 with bleach, higher would be better. Retest, and post your results.

Use the Pool Calculator (link in my signature line) to calculate your dosages. Bookmark this tool on your computer and you should be able to come back to it as needed.

3. Back To Top    #3

Ok so got my salt and got some hth pH minus and because I was out and didn't see your post till now I got some hth Super shock 'n swim. So the pH minus is in the pool now, I used about 9 ounces according to the chart on the container. About how long before retesting?

4. Back To Top    #4

Give the pH minus about 30 minutes to dissolve and then you can retest.

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok so here are my results as of right now.

TH - 200
    FC - Still Zero
    pH - about 7.2 hard to tell on these strips
    TA - 180
    CYA - Still 0

Off to wally world again to get some bleach and stabilizer

6. Back To Top    #6

Ah man, test strips? I'm sorry but the use of test strips has been strictly prohibited! They have been found to be very inaccurate! You really need to order a proper test kit. There is a link at the bottom of my post in my signature for a good test kit and you will also find links in the pool school. Once you get the PH down, the CYA up, and some chlorine in the pool you will need to do an overnight test to see if you pool was just out of wack or if you have something going on in there. Of course, you will need the test kit for the overnight test so go get it ordered. Oh, I highly recommend getting a speed-Stir as well. Very handy! Welcome to TFP, the water's great here!
    18x36 Vinyl In-ground w/roman ends 27,400G, Hayward 3/4hp with 300# sand filter. Hayward heat pump heater

Pool School
    Pool Calculator
    Test Kits

7. Back To Top    #7

Ya just joined not to long ago and will order that test kit soon but as for now test strips it is, I have no other choice. Please check my work before I go adding bleach to my pool if you can, went to the pool calculator and says for my size salt water pool with ZERO chlorine I need to add 18 oz of bleach does that sound right? doesnt seem like enough?

8. Back To Top    #8

For a 4400 gallon pool, raising the FC from 0 to 3 ppm would require 27 ounces of 6% bleach.
    [attachment=0:16onxvkl]pccapture.JPG[/attachment:16onxvkl]
    Attached Images Attached Images

9. Back To Top    #9

Ok added the bleach and the stabalizer for the CYA. I can run my filter for about another hour then I need to turn it off (exceed my 12 hours recommended run time). Should I just take another measurement tomorrow moring or do another one in about 1 hour? Also, it has been extreamly hot here, like 112 with heat index. The pool temp right now is 95 and today is the coolest day in 2 weeks (88). Could the heat of the water be an issue and if so what to do?

10. Back To Top    #10

Oh bye the way, I just donated to your site. You guys have been awesome helping me out so far! I have no dought that my pool water will be perfect once we are done. Thanks Thanks and Thanks again.

11. Back To Top    #11

Check your pm in upper left under logo. If you are in Lincoln i might be able able to help with some testing.
    POOL: Intex ultra new in 2014 (32 x 16 x 52) (seasonal; on concrete pad covered with 1.5" extruded or whatever foam insulation sheets - ugly, but comfy); added a through-wall skimmer; I add salt for feel. EQUIPMENT: Pentair SuperFlo pump (1HP, 2SPD); Pentair cartridge filter (200 sq. ft); Pentair MasterTemp natural gas heater (400,000 btu) Climate/Location: Eastern Nebraska

12. Back To Top    #12

30ppm CYA for a salt water pool is too low. Is there a reason we're not having the OP raise CYA to 60-80ppm?
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

13. Back To Top    #13

frogabog, my guess is some shocking will be needed before kicking the SWG in.
    Garden Leisure Voyager 12x24 AGP, 7500 Gallons, Hayward Power Flo Matrix 1 HP pump, dual speed, Hayward XStream Cartridge Filter, 120 GPM,

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by Sportsman
    frogabog, my guess is some shocking will be needed before kicking the SWG in.
    Kinda what I was thinking. Lets get it squared away first, make sure we have no CC or overnight loss, and then go from there. If need be, he can run it as a regular chlorine pool for his party and then dial everything in later with the SWCG.

15. Back To Top    #15

For some reason I got the impression the SWG was currently running through all this. Gotcha. Am currently shocking (grrrr) and am very thankful I didn't raise CYA for the SWG yet.
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

16. Back To Top    #16

Hey Sprede, since you've donated PM Jason for a discount code for the TF-100 test kit. Might as well get a little good out of your kindness.

I also agree that you're most likely going to have to shock.
    Also with the test strips they're not accurate at all on the CYA number so I wouldn't raise it too much till you get a good test kit.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

17. Back To Top    #17

Good morning you all. So I tested my pool this morning and this is what I got (with the test strips):

TH - 200
    FC - STILL ZERO! WTH!!! I can smell the bleach in the pool
    PH - 6.8
    TA - 80
    CYA - 0
    Salt - 3120

Ok so according to the strips things are changing, I can see the water is more clear this morning. I did turn my system on which also turns on the SWG and now after reading the posts I think I need to turn it off. I will have to get my wife to do when she gets up, hopefully soon. Nothing will happen to the SWG if it is on right now right?

18. Back To Top    #18

My guess is you are smelling CC not FC. If that is the case, you will need to start the shocking process. As has been mentioned, you really need a better test kit. It will save you time and money.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

19. Back To Top    #19

Your FC could be zero, or it could be so high it's bleaching out the test strip. That might also account for the sudden drop in pH.

You're working blind.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

20. Back To Top    #20

Walmart sells OTO kits for around $6. I'd look for one while you are waiting on a TFT. Much better than strips, they just don't test over FC 5 without some tricks. Dilution with distilled water can get you to 10 or 15 max.
    Garden Leisure Voyager 12x24 AGP, 7500 Gallons, Hayward Power Flo Matrix 1 HP pump, dual speed, Hayward XStream Cartridge Filter, 120 GPM,

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast