Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Another PH Question!

1. Back To Top    #1

Another PH Question!

I've got a 15 month old plaster SWG pool that continues to have PH drift. About every 4-5 days I add acid to bring it down. I usually bring it down to the 7.2 range so I don't have to add every other day. Although the PH drift was much worse a year ago I''m still frustrated. I believe that the water is suposed to stablize around 7.6 - 7.8 for a SWG. Is that correct? The rise is slower once its gets higher. Should I let it go to see where it stablizes? My tester only goes to 8.0 so it's hard to read the higher PH levels.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Twin Cities, MN

Re: Another PH Question!

SWGs tend to cause upward ph drift. I do not think the drift typically stops at any particular level. So your experience is pretty normal. What is your TA? If it is much above 80 ppm, this will usually cause excessive drift for SWG pools.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

Welcome to TFP!

What is your TA level? To minimize PH drift, TA should be around 60 or 70.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

TA is about 50. In the winter I could go about 1 1/2 weeks before needing acid. I guess the temp, outgassing by the SWG, sheer decents and my children are responsible for the PH rise.

5. Back To Top    #5

Flower Mound, TX

I wouldn't let the TA get any lower than 50. Doing so can cause funny things to happen to pH levels with fairly simple changes in the pool environment.

Since your plaster has cured, the pH rise won't be as pronounced as it was during the first year of your pool's life while the plaster was curing. Still though, running a SWCG virtually guarantees that you will need to address pH rise with acid on a regular basis. It's just part of the deal.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

It's just part of the deal.
    Probably not the answer any of us want but a candid and accurate answer nevertheless. It simply comes with the territory.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Dallas TX

minimize aeration - my SW pool used to drift up VERY fast. Got rid of my pooldevil skimmers, and 2/3 of the problem went away. I still have to adjust it down with MA once a week or so, but we use it a LOT.
    33k Gunite, CompuPool CPSC48 SWG, Sta-Rite System 3 DE, 2.25hp dual-speed, POOLVERGNUEGEN Pressure-side