Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump working hours

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump working hours

My pool is 31000 liters and my pump is doing 15500 liters/hour (1hp - 0.75kw), at least thats what it says in its label.
    In summer the pool gets direct sun from 9.00 hours till 18.00 hours, so thats 9 hours of sun. This gets the pool temperature from 11 Celsius in winter to 31 or 32 Celsius in summer.

I have been running my pool for 5 hours, but not continues, thats from 6 to 7, 9 to 10, 12 to 13, 15 to 16 and 18 to 20. From 18 to 20 is the time i do some maintenance, eg cleaning, adding bleach etc.
    The pool is doing fine, some fogy water sometimes, but thats my chemistry so no particular problems.
    Now, from the pool school it says the pump must do at least one cycle of the capacity of the pool water, but for my pool size thats only 2 pump hours.

So, basic to the pool school, shall i decrease the pumping hours to just 2 hours? What times shall i use that 2 hours? Are my 5 hours pumping time timers too much? Are my 5 hours timer programs ok? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance
    31,000 liters concrete vinyl pool - 1hp pump - Monarch 85kg sand filter - 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 2 jets - safety fence - 12V leds lights par56 .[/i]

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump working hours

That depends. The 1 turn per day is not a hard number. It depends on a number of things. Exposure to the sun, method of chlorination, and size will impact run time for your pool. The use of trichlor tabs typically requires a longer run time. Very strong sun may require an even long run time to make up for chlorine demand. Bather load will effect it..... I could go on.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

I use Bleach for chlorine, i stick to BBB.
    Not may people use the pool every day, its just a family pool, but how many people use the pool is in my case is not such a bit of a case, i believe, since i check my chlorine chemistry every day and also when someone uses the pool, we manually switch the pump on so that the filter can do a better job (People using the pool is the best cleaning aid from debris, i think).

So, how about helping me out with my original post message?
    31,000 liters concrete vinyl pool - 1hp pump - Monarch 85kg sand filter - 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 2 jets - safety fence - 12V leds lights par56 .[/i]

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Geonapa
    So, how about helping me out with my original post message?
    PoolGuyNJ was helping you out with your original post message.

Pump run times are very variable. What works for one pool, does not for another. I run my pump on low speed 24/7. It probably does not need that much, but I also have not had problems with things like
    fogy water
    which may not always be a function of just chemistry.

If you want try 2 hours, try it and observe the results. My guess is that will be to short (it would be for my pool) but only you can determine that.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

Every pool is different, so its not a hard and fast formula. You could try reducing the pump time to 2 continuous hours per day and see if there is any decrease in water quality, assuming you stay on top of the testing and dosing as usual. I prefer to run mine in the afternoon when I add bleach. If you find the water quality suffers, add an hour to the run time and see how things go. The time of day you choose to run the filter is not as big an issue as staying on top of the water chemistry and adequate run time on the filter. Running the filter longer than needed for 1 turn over of water will not hurt the pool, its just not very energy efficient.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by zea3
    Running the filter longer than needed for 1 turn over of water will not hurt the pool, its just not very energy efficient.
    Though playing to close to the edge could be very inefficient if it causes the pool to slip into a bloom.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by linen
    I run my pump on low speed 24/7. It probably does not need that much, but I also have not had problems with things like
    fogy water
    which may not always be a function of just chemistry.
    Same here, it's easiest to leave it on low 24/7.
    Aaron
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]