New Pool Chemistry Question

wamaha

LifeTime Supporter
May 4, 2011
Our new plaster pool is puzzling the heck out of me.....

Water tests as of Sunday:
FC - 1.5
pH - 7.2
TA - Was at 40, so I added some baking soda to bring it up per the calculator. I haven't retested this yet.
CYA - 80

We are using a rainbow feeder for now. I am running our pump from about 8PM till 6AM.
I usually test the water in the morning, sometimes in the evening.
It has been RIDICULOUSLY hot and dry....temps in the 100's with no rainfall to speak of.
Water temp as of last night was right about 93 (yuck).

I tested the water yesterday evening, and the FC was down to 0 (ph @ 7.2). I turned the Rainbow up a notch from 3 to 4, and dropped a couple of pucks in the skimmers and overnight the FC shot up to 4. I took one of the two pucks out of the skimmer this morning.

Questions:
1) Do I/should I continue to leave a puck in the skimmer? 1 or two?
2) Should I run a pump turnover during the day?

We have no issues with algae or water clarity, the pool looks great, but these numbers are a little worrisome.

Any tips?

Thanks!

How old is the plaster? For the first three weeks you should not adjust TA or CH and focus mostly on keeping the PH down. Run the pump 24/7, brush twice a day, and keep one or two tablets in the skimmer. After about three weeks you can switch over to maintaining things normally, aside from continuing to keep an eye on the PH.

It seems remarkably unlikely that CYA is really 80. What CYA test did you use?

JasonLion said:
How old is the plaster? For the first three weeks you should not adjust TA or CH and focus mostly on keeping the PH down. Run the pump 24/7, brush twice a day, and keep one or two tablets in the skimmer. After about three weeks you can switch over to maintaining things normally, aside from continuing to keep an eye on the PH.

It seems remarkably unlikely that CYA is really 80. What CYA test did you use?

Plaster was done on 6/28.
The CYA test was done @ Warehouse Pool Supply.
I have the TF Kit, but haven't ventured much past the FC and pH part of the testing.

Alright, you are more than a month, so you need to adjust TA and CH levels. It sounds like you already started working on TA. Do you have a CH test result?

The CYA test in the TF100 will give you much better results than getting a CYA test at a pool store.

Your FC level is too low, especially if CYA is anywhere near 80. I still doubt the CYA test results, but you should bring your FC level up to at least 5 while working on getting a better CYA test result.

wamaha said:
Our new plaster pool is puzzling the **** out of me.....

Water tests as of Sunday:
FC - 1.5
pH - 7.2
TA - Was at 40, so I added some baking soda to bring it up per the calculator. I haven't retested this yet.
CYA - 80

We are using a rainbow feeder for now. I am running our pump from about 8PM till 6AM.
I usually test the water in the morning, sometimes in the evening.
It has been RIDICULOUSLY hot and dry....temps in the 100's with no rainfall to speak of.
Water temp as of last night was right about 93 (yuck).

I tested the water yesterday evening, and the FC was down to 0 (ph @ 7.2). I turned the Rainbow up a notch from 3 to 4, and dropped a couple of pucks in the skimmers and overnight the FC shot up to 4. I took one of the two pucks out of the skimmer this morning.

Questions:
1) Do I/should I continue to leave a puck in the skimmer? 1 or two?
2) Should I run a pump turnover during the day?

We have no issues with algae or water clarity, the pool looks great, but these numbers are a little worrisome.

Any tips?

Thanks!

You need to run the pump during the day during the summer to avoid the algae. The puck in the skimmer will increase the FC because its basically unregulated.

No need to run the pump during the day if you don't have clarity or FC problems. I'd stop using the pucks altogether with a CYA of 80. You're CYA is already too high unless you have a swcg.
We really need a set of test results from the TF-100. With that we can tell more what's going on.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.