Backfill question

Jun 17, 2011
Just about to order my backfill material for my steel walled in ground pool. I was planning on getting in sand but based on all the research I have done, 3/4 washed gravel seems to be the best choice.

I was wondering if I should get round or chipped. Will chipped hurt or show through the panel?

Also, will chipped cause any damage to my PVC plumbing?

thanks!!

Chipped. The plumbing and wall will be fine if you take some care. Don't try to dump it all at once in one spot. That would hurt anything.

I don't like seeing the plumbing lines right next to the wall but rather a couple feet out, in their own trench. This just leaves the stub exposed to the rigors of the backfill process. Less exposure equals less risk. Alas, it's hardly ever done due to the extra labor required.

Scott

Is the road base product primarily crushed concrete? That's what I ended up using to backfill. It was $9.75/ton for 50 tons, which was about half the cost of anything else. It consists of a mix of particles from about 1" down to fine grains. It's very heavy and dense, making it almost perfect for the purpose. I have read that the concrete can cause steel walls to rust faster due to the alkalinity. I don't know if there's anything to that but I have poly walls so it didn't matter to me personally.

Ditto what Scott says. Anything with widely mixed sizes (like crusher) would be difficult to deal with. Washed, evenly sized rock (here in NC #57 is the standard...it's about 3/8" to 3/4 inch clean rock) requires no compaction and, esentially, flows like a liquid so you get a base that won't settle.

My very large decking is seven years old and has yet to show the first crack. I'm sure it's coming eventually but so far, so good. the entire subbase is #57 rock down to undisturbed soil.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What is the optimum size stone to use?

I have a sloped yard (clay) and intend to put a perforated drainage tile directly on the outside wall footer around the pool and drain it downslope. I intend to backfill entirely of stone but not sure what size is best to use. Seems my local quarry has options that range from 1/4-1/2" all the way up to 2".

I figure the drainage tile will be cheap insurance with the heavy clay soil .... the clay soaks up water and when it is saturated it flows into any dry area. I figure if it finds its way to the footer the tile will just drain it away.

duraleigh said:
Ditto what Scott says. Anything with widely mixed sizes (like crusher) would be difficult to deal with. Washed, evenly sized rock (here in NC #57 is the standard...it's about 3/8" to 3/4 inch clean rock) requires no compaction and, esentially, flows like a liquid so you get a base that won't settle.

This is what my concrete guy said also.

How much of the IG talk here apply to a semi inground AG pool? One dealer is saying to just back fill it with the dirt taken out and another is saying don't ever put that dirt back in I have to use sand??????

UPSguy said:
How much of the IG talk here apply to a semi inground AG pool? One dealer is saying to just back fill it with the dirt taken out and another is saying don't ever put that dirt back in I have to use sand??????

i back filled my whole inground with dirt, tamped the poop out of it. 5 years later and the paver decking has not moved

My pool is 2 weeks from being done. Being that it is almost ready to close, can i wait to pour concrete till next year. I used my dirt to backfill and it is clay/ dirt material. Just wondering if i can fill it up with water and close it. Then next year pour the concrete. I would love for the dirt to settle.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.