Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Backfill question

1. Back To Top    #1

Backfill question

Just about to order my backfill material for my steel walled in ground pool. I was planning on getting in sand but based on all the research I have done, 3/4 washed gravel seems to be the best choice.

I was wondering if I should get round or chipped. Will chipped hurt or show through the panel?

Also, will chipped cause any damage to my PVC plumbing?

thanks!!
    10,000 gallon, in-ground 19x32, hayward sand filter, 250,000 btu hayward heater, hayward 2 speed 2hp pump, pentair chlorine feeder, 2 aqua genie skimmers, self build!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Backfill question

Chipped. The plumbing and wall will be fine if you take some care. Don't try to dump it all at once in one spot. That would hurt anything.

I don't like seeing the plumbing lines right next to the wall but rather a couple feet out, in their own trench. This just leaves the stub exposed to the rigors of the backfill process. Less exposure equals less risk. Alas, it's hardly ever done due to the extra labor required.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

my local rock dealer said that he could sell me something called 1 inch minus road base.

is that any good?

how about this...it is double the cost...3/4 inch clear blue granite:

http://www.bcrocks.com/images/2006-prod ... CN9572.JPG

I'm getting confused...so many places say to use pit run sand. I don't know what to do!!!
    10,000 gallon, in-ground 19x32, hayward sand filter, 250,000 btu hayward heater, hayward 2 speed 2hp pump, pentair chlorine feeder, 2 aqua genie skimmers, self build!

4. Back To Top    #4

Is the road base product primarily crushed concrete? That's what I ended up using to backfill. It was $9.75/ton for 50 tons, which was about half the cost of anything else. It consists of a mix of particles from about 1" down to fine grains. It's very heavy and dense, making it almost perfect for the purpose. I have read that the concrete can cause steel walls to rust faster due to the alkalinity. I don't know if there's anything to that but I have poly walls so it didn't matter to me personally.
    25k gal Lazy-L, vinyl liner, poly walls, swimout spa, diving board, TurboTwister slide.
    Hayward 2HP 2-spd pump, Pentair 2HP spa pump, Hayward 30" 500lb sand filter.
    Goldline Pro Logic PS-8 automation/SWG. 2 LED ColorLogic 4.0. 8 Jandy deck jets. MX-8 cleaner.

5. Back To Top    #5

Do not use road base or crusher. They need compacting and would cause the walls to bow.. The gravel won't need it.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Ditto what Scott says. Anything with widely mixed sizes (like crusher) would be difficult to deal with. Washed, evenly sized rock (here in NC #57 is the standard...it's about 3/8" to 3/4 inch clean rock) requires no compaction and, esentially, flows like a liquid so you get a base that won't settle.

My very large decking is seven years old and has yet to show the first crack. I'm sure it's coming eventually but so far, so good. the entire subbase is #57 rock down to undisturbed soil.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Ok...this is what they sent me...30 yards worth! Please tell me that this is ok. Each piece is about 3/8.

Thanks!

8. Back To Top    #8

That should be fine.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Ditto what Scott said, again! You're good to go!
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

That stuff looks to have a void ratio of 30-40%. Are you going to use a polyester landscape fabric to prevent soil migration? What about water issues with your steel wall pool?
    25k gal Lazy-L, vinyl liner, poly walls, swimout spa, diving board, TurboTwister slide.
    Hayward 2HP 2-spd pump, Pentair 2HP spa pump, Hayward 30" 500lb sand filter.
    Goldline Pro Logic PS-8 automation/SWG. 2 LED ColorLogic 4.0. 8 Jandy deck jets. MX-8 cleaner.

11. Back To Top    #11

Not with 3/8" stone. 7% max. Hit it with plate compacter as a finisher and you won't even need cloth. It'll seal up but still drain well.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC

12. Back To Top    #12

What is the optimum size stone to use?

I have a sloped yard (clay) and intend to put a perforated drainage tile directly on the outside wall footer around the pool and drain it downslope. I intend to backfill entirely of stone but not sure what size is best to use. Seems my local quarry has options that range from 1/4-1/2" all the way up to 2".

I figure the drainage tile will be cheap insurance with the heavy clay soil .... the clay soaks up water and when it is saturated it flows into any dry area. I figure if it finds its way to the footer the tile will just drain it away.
    19600 gallon 18x36 IG vinyl liner over full length steel steps. 4'x8' sun ledge. Sport bottom 3.5-6.5'.
    Hayward equipment including SP3200 VSP, Pro Logic, T-15, S210S sand filter, 140k Heat Pump and Colorlogic light.
    Under track auto cover.

13. Back To Top    #13

I'd likely use 1" but without seeing the plans, you're only going to get a guess.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    Ditto what Scott says. Anything with widely mixed sizes (like crusher) would be difficult to deal with. Washed, evenly sized rock (here in NC #57 is the standard...it's about 3/8" to 3/4 inch clean rock) requires no compaction and, esentially, flows like a liquid so you get a base that won't settle.
    This is what my concrete guy said also.
    DONE, 20 x 40, inground gunite, 30" raised bond beam with 3 12" sheer descents, 8' diving board, pentair 420 cartridge filter, vs-3050 pump, intellechlor ic-40, auto cvr, Tahoe blue pebble tech, 6ea 4' x 12.5' & 2ea 1' x 12.5' helicol solar panels, legend robotic cleaner.

15. Back To Top    #15

In the Industry

Backfill question

Rare to hear of someone doing backfill correctly! Crushed, washed stone, as you have chosen is best--a graded material such as crusher run needs to be compacted, as does sand.

16. Back To Top    #16

How much of the IG talk here apply to a semi inground AG pool? One dealer is saying to just back fill it with the dirt taken out and another is saying don't ever put that dirt back in I have to use sand??????
    The man on top of the mountain didn't fall there.

24' x 52" Intex ultra frame pool (12,400 gallons) with seperate Intex 2500gph pump and SWG and 2 Intex magnetic pool lights.
    Looking to upgrade to 27-30' semi inground install

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by UPSguy
    How much of the IG talk here apply to a semi inground AG pool? One dealer is saying to just back fill it with the dirt taken out and another is saying don't ever put that dirt back in I have to use sand??????
    i back filled my whole inground with dirt, tamped the poop out of it. 5 years later and the paver decking has not moved
    17,000 gal inground
    vinyl
    swg
    3hp 8 returns
    heat siphon heat pump

18. Back To Top    #18

Not all dirt is the same. While I am glad your's worked out, it wouldn't for many others.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC

19. Back To Top    #19

My pool is 2 weeks from being done. Being that it is almost ready to close, can i wait to pour concrete till next year. I used my dirt to backfill and it is clay/ dirt material. Just wondering if i can fill it up with water and close it. Then next year pour the concrete. I would love for the dirt to settle.

20. Back To Top    #20

I would have concerns about backfilling with the excavated dirt. The properties of the dirt and how you compact are critical.
    That said you can wait till next year to pour a pad.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast