Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Motor on super II dies and I need advice

1. Back To Top    #1

Ridgewood NJ

Motor on super II dies and I need advice

Super 2 pump with ust1202 motor died(it runs but cuts out after overheating)- 2hp with sf of 1.1. I am thinking about using a 1.5hp or 1hp motor to cut my electricity consumption. Do I need to change the impeller or just the motor and seals. I have a hayward 60sqft de filter, 2 skimmer returns and a main drain with 2 inch pvc, The pool is 30000 ig and the filter pressure measures 18 when clean. If you can recommend a source for purchase it would be appreciated as well.
    35,000 gallon IG pool. pebblefina sapphire galaxy finish
    2hp Hayward 2 speed pump, Hayward DE600 grid filter, Hayward Heater, Polaris booster and 280 cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2
    Houston, Texas

Re: Motor on super II dies and I need advice

Usually it is best to match the impeller to the motor. As long as you are replacing the motor, why not look into a 2 speed motor? Low and slow is best for filtering pool water, and high speed is used to mix in chemicals and vacuum. seems to have decent prices.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Motor on super II dies and I need advice

When going from a higher sfhp motor to a lower sfhp motor you must change the impeller. When going from a lower sfhp motor to a higher sfhp motor you can leave the impeller alone. It's best to match the impeller to the motor but as long as the motor is as large or larger than the impeller needs it'll work.

So yes, you need to change the impeller.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit