Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: High filter pressure and low jet pressure

1. Back To Top    #1

High filter pressure and low jet pressure

My DE filter seems to be running higher pressure than normal and the jets don't have the normal force. I've tried backwashing and putting in new DE but it doesn't seem to help much. Any ideas? Filter was last cleaned in Feb. Could it just be due for a cleaning? Pump and skimmer baskets are clean.

Thanks!
    Pool newbie. 25k gallon in-ground plaster pool with DE filter. MX8 and PoolSkim

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: High filter pressure and low jet pressure

That would be my next step. I'd shut it down and clean it. Then reevaluate things.

3. Back To Top    #3

Ditto what 257 says. Just make sure you don't have a discharge valve partially closed somewhere.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks! I have someone coming out Friday for a cleaning. This is all so new to me so I'm learning on the go. Hopefully that's the reason the pressure is high and the pool inst circulating well. Should I not run my filter until it has been cleaned on Friday?

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by jhever
    Thanks! I have someone coming out Friday for a cleaning. This is all so new to me so I'm learning on the go. Hopefully that's the reason the pressure is high and the pool inst circulating well. Should I not run my filter until it has been cleaned on Friday?

Watch them do it and learn. It's a fairly simple process that anyone can do.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

6. Back To Top    #6

Should I keep my filter off until its been cleaned Friday? Is that too long to keep it off with this heat?

7. Back To Top    #7

I was in the same boat as you. I watched some youtube videos and I was able to do it myself and it was my first time. I didnt want to pay 100.00 to someone when I could do it myself. How much higher is the pressure vs when it is fully clean at normal level?
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

8. Back To Top    #8

I would run the filter as much as possible. If you ahve a multiport valve you can set it to recirc. That way you can chlorinate even if the filter isn't working.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Its at about 30 when its usually around 18-20. I just wanted to make sure it wouldn't hurt the pump or filter to keep running it until the guy can come out. I have an older purex triton FNS plus filter and will have to learn so I can do this myself next time. No telling what kind of shape its in inside based on the previous owner.

10. Back To Top    #10

If the cleaning does not work, there could be the possibility of something stuck in the plumbing that is restricing the flow.
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

11. Back To Top    #11

I would try what Bama Rambler said. If you have a multi port valve and are able to recirculate, check the return flow in the water and see if the jets return to a normal flow. If they do then you know it's the filter causing the low flow.
    Eric

IG 17x33 Grecian - Vinyl Liner (21k gallons), Hayward Pro-Grid DE 4820 filter, Hayward Super Pump, CompuPool SWG CPSC36, TF-100 Test Kit

12. Back To Top    #12

All I have is the push/pull valve