Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What is the best pool cover?

1. Back To Top    #1

What is the best pool cover?

Hello, does anyone have a recommendation of what type of pool safety cover to get? Mesh or Solid? Pump in the middle?
    Thanks
    16.6 x 32.6 Vinyl Liner Grecian, Aqua Rite Plus SWG, Hayward HeatPro 110K BTU, Pentair VRS, LED Laminar and Interfab Waterfall.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What is the best pool cover?

My preference is a solid with an automatic pump. Although, many people prefer the tight weave mesh that blocks out most sunlight and dirt. I recommend that you avoid the old loose weave mesh, as that will allow a lot of dirt and sunlight to mess up the pool. The solid covers are also available with a center drain panel.

3. Back To Top    #3

I saw the solid cover with a mesh in the center to allow the water to drain. Is that a good compromise? The one with the pump, I am assuming requires a power run to the cover?
    16.6 x 32.6 Vinyl Liner Grecian, Aqua Rite Plus SWG, Hayward HeatPro 110K BTU, Pentair VRS, LED Laminar and Interfab Waterfall.

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Now that I live in a year-round pool climate I don't have any use for a cover. But at my previous house in MA I had a Loop-Loc mesh type safety cover. It was well made and held up for years. No pumps and no water and ice collecting on it. Come spring, the small amount of debris that sifted through the cover was easily vacuumed off the bottom, pool topped up, chemicals added, pump on and back to sparkling water in a day or so. Highly recommend that type cover.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by newbiepool
    I saw the solid cover with a mesh in the center to allow the water to drain. Is that a good compromise? The one with the pump, I am assuming requires a power run to the cover?
    The solid is heavier than the tight mesh. The center drain panel works well. An extension cord can be used for a cover pump if the cord won't reach an outlet.