Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: White Stain at Water Line

1. Back To Top    #1

White Stain at Water Line

Since I had to remove 42% of the water to get my CH level corrected I figured it would be a good time to remove the water line stain. I started out w/ a 4:1 mixture of muriatic acid and water in a sprayer. It would not remove it. 2:1 NOTHING. 100% NOTHING. I have tried using a brush and a scotchbrite pad. Still won't budge. I was thinking of trying CLR. Do you think it will contaminate the water? Any other ideas? I may have to go rent a jackhammer to get this stuff off.[img][/img][img][/img]
    Don
    12,000g gunite w/ 8'x5' spa, 2 waterfalls, mini pebble,3 Whisperflo pumps, Pentair 4060 DE filter, Intellichor IC20 SWG, MPULSE 3000 Water Treatment System,Sta-Rite gas heater, Kreepy Krauly pool sweep, TF-100 Test Kit.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Try a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, sometimes they will work when other things don't.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    Often times all that will remove such a line from tilework is a pumice stone and a lot of elbow grease! If you go that route be sure to test the stone to make sure it doesn't scratch the tile and only removes the stain.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

If muriatic won't work, I don't think CLR will have any affect. Based on your pool water history and the good pictures, I would have assumed that to be calcium deposits.....muriatic acid handles calcium very easily so something's up.

I'd still have to guess calcium so maybe something else is covering or coating the calcium so the muriatic can't get to it....like soap scum frequently covers mineral stains in a shower.

Perhaps, first try some Comet or Ajax to remove the scum and then muriatic to remove the white calcium deposits. You'll know if the muriatic is working.......it will foam or bubble instantly....usually 4:1 is about right.

If that doesn't work, I'm stumped.

I assume the tile is man made ceramic (is it porcelain?) and not a natural stone.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I found the answer for those stuborn stains:
    Motorized Elbow Grease.

You should of seen the look on the wifes face when she came home and saw me in my waders standing in the pool grinding away on HER tile. I finished by cleaning all the tiles w/ biodegradable pool soap. They look great.

Don
    12,000g gunite w/ 8'x5' spa, 2 waterfalls, mini pebble,3 Whisperflo pumps, Pentair 4060 DE filter, Intellichor IC20 SWG, MPULSE 3000 Water Treatment System,Sta-Rite gas heater, Kreepy Krauly pool sweep, TF-100 Test Kit.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Like I said, sometimes it just takes an abrasive and some elbow grease. Kudos for thinking of motorizing it (and safely too!)

7. Back To Top    #7
    Wow!

Nice work.
    11,000 gal. gunite w/midnight blue and white pearl PebbleTec
    Intelliflo 4x160 pump
    Intellichlor IC-20 SWG
    Pentair cartridge filter 420 sq. ft.
    Mastertemp 400K BTU heater
    Legend Platinum cleaner
    Pool School
    JasonLion's Pool Calculator
    TF Test Kits

8. Back To Top    #8
    Very clever! Looks great now!

Did your wife like the outcome (after she revived from the shock?? )

8200 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, manually chlorinated with 10% liquid, salt added to ~2000, 12" sand filter, 1600gph pump, TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, Chlorine/CYA Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

9. Back To Top    #9
    Nice work! Did you use a sand paper tip or grinding pad or something else?
    TFP Founder

My Pool: 13K gal IG gunite with 7' spa, Pentair Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Polaris 280 Cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.

10. Back To Top    #10

Did your wife like the outcome (after she revived from the shock?? )
    She's not complaining so I will take that as a compliment.
    Nice work! Did you use a sand paper tip or grinding pad or something else?
    I used a 3M Paint & Rust Stripper. Here's what is left of it:
    Don