Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CH a mile high at 520- causes and effect?

1. Back To Top    #1

CH a mile high at 520- causes and effect?

FC- 2.5
    CC -.5
    TA- 90
    CH- 520
    CYA- 80
    pH-8.2
    Salt- 3260

New pool this May and I have no idea why my CH is at 520. I checked it two days in a row and got the same result- 52 drops x 10 = 520.
    Pool calc says replace half of my water. Before I do that, I'd like to know why it may be in the 500s in the first place, or it may just go there again.
    What causes CH to rise?
    What effect does too high of a CH count have?

And yes, the 8.2 is too (****) high. Every time I turn around the pH has shot past 8.
    4 cups of muriatic acid gets it back down but it just goes back up in a matter of days.
    24k gallon inground with 500 gallon spa, 580sqft Jandy cartridge filter, Jandy ePump 2HP variable speed pump, Jandy 1400 SWG AquaCal Heat Pump, Diamondbrite Aqua Quartz plaster

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CH a mile high at 520- causes and effect?

Have you checked the CA of the fill water? Areas with very hard water will have higher CA levels. CA does not evaporate out,and when you add more water the CA level will rise. Also if anyone used any Calcium Hypochlorite in the pool that will raise CA as well.

With new plaster the pH is going to want to rise, same thing with using an SWG. The CA is high but manageable if you can keep the pH and TA low, around 7.2 and 70 respectively.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Hey neighbor...I told you I'd gladly be your pool boy

Anyhow, you are not that far from me and my fill water CH is 350+ depending on the season. Evaporation and high CH fill water will make you CH concentration grow

Whatever you do, just make sure the PH does not climb over 7.8 as it will put you at risk of calcium scaling.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

4. Back To Top    #4

Well, you have your answer...

If 520 is a mile high, I guess I'm about a mile and a quarter. Drive down TA. Keep tabs on pH. Yes, it will use a LOT of acid. Pool Calculator will tell you the CSI. Keep tabs on that. And get as much rainwater in your pool as you can. That's what saved me. I directed a downspout into my pool, so I replaced about 3X as many inches of pool water as each storm dropped.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    Well, you have your answer...

If 520 is a mile high, I guess I'm about a mile and a quarter. Drive down TA. Keep tabs on pH. Yes, it will use a LOT of acid. Pool Calculator will tell you the CSI. Keep tabs on that. And get as much rainwater in your pool as you can. That's what saved me. I directed a downspout into my pool, so I replaced about 3X as many inches of pool water as each storm dropped.
    Good idea, my CH is also very high at 575, however I keep tabs on my PH and TA. We have had lots of rain lately and I drain the pool using the main drain only after the pool fills up, hopefully to reduce the CH concentration.
    6,000 gal, IG free form,Beach Series Antigua by Marbletite Pebble finish,Sheer Descent, IG Fountain, Dolphin / Mermaid Statues,Dura- Glas 1.5hp pump,Hayward Pro-grid DE4820, Aqua Rite SWG with T-Cell 15,Heat Siphon Heat Pump DX 5.0 109,000 btu, Pool Cage, 1800sq ft Tremron Estate Pavers,Aquatherm Ecosun Solar Panels 192 sq ft with GL-235 Controller,Pentair IntelliBrite, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer Our New Poolbuild, Jacksonville, FL yr 2009 Solar install Outdoor kitchen upgrade