Wiring 115v up to 230v for new pump. How can i do it?

moeman

Jul 28, 2011
CT
Hi all,

I just ordered a new Pentair Superflo 1hp uprated, 2 speed, for 230 volts. Thanks to all the great people on this forum. I'm replacing a vintage and rusty 3/4hp superpump that died on me last week. I've got a temporary replacement working till my new pump arrives.

I need help with the wiring.

Here's the current situation:

Main breaker box: I have two single 20 amp circuit breakers linked together, typical of 220v, like my dryer breaker. so i'm guessing that 220v is being sent out of main breaker. I will test it later to be sure.

At pump location: i have a sub-panel that has two seperate breakers running at 115v: both single 20amp gfci breakers; breaker #1- booster pump, which is no longer being used; breaker #2-pool pump(old 115v superpump). When i took off the subpanel cover, power off at main box, of course; i see the main power line in: red wire going to breaker 1 and black wire goes to breaker 2. Green to grounds.

Can i change out the two single breakers in the sub panel for a 220v breaker?

Is SJOOW wire, 12 awg the correct gauge for the task?

Does the breaker need to be GFCI protected?

Does it need to be sheathed with a waterproof conduit? the pump is in enclosed garage, so no elements get to it

I am not opposed to hiring an electrician. I have done a lot of 115v wiring around the house, so i thought i might be able to tackle it. But 230v is a lot of voltage and i'd like to be on safe side.

Thanks,

moe

What a coincidence - I just did this type rewiring job for my own new pump ! Except I changed out a Superpump 1.5 on 230V out for a Pentaire SuperFlo 1.5 on 230V = I also needed to do quite a bit of cleaning up of my electrical panel that feeds the pool pump as well

Some of these questions - I'd suggest you hire a professional.

#1 - don't use 2 single 120V breakers to feed 240v to your pool panel. it should be a single dual pole 240 V breaker

#2 - Pool subpanel - replace the 2 single pole 120V GFCI breakers for a single 240V dual pole GFCI breaker - be prepared for sticker shock - my GE panel GFCI cost me over $100 - and another brand I looked out for my outside house panel was $150+ !

#3 - I'm using 12 Guage SJOO cord from my pump to a 6-20 plug, and I have a 6-20 recepticle wired into the line that comes from the shed. Your electrician will probably want to use L6-20 instead of the straights I put in - but the principle is still the same. You should also have this in either a weatherproof building or put a "wet service " cover over the outlet. My reason for the plug is so I can easily remove the pump and put it in storage offseason. Since you're in a sheltered place - there are other alternatives available for you.

You probably also need a building ground to the garage if it is a separate building. I had to put in one of those as well.

As was stated to me by some electricians at a home improvement forum I also hang out on (and got alot of great advice on this wiring job) - with hundreds of volts and thousands of gallons of water - you want to do it right and safe.

2 speed pump - you need 4 wires for the pool pump - 1 ground, 1 common, and one for each speed. Needs some sort of switch / automation mechanism

Thanks for the advice,

I am definitely going to hire an electrician.

Scooperhsd: you are totally right its gonna cost me a few hundred extra to set it up correctly. Totally worth the safety factor and long term savings.

Got a call from mike at poolsupplyunlimited.com, where i ordered the superflo, he found a new superflo 1HP uprated 2 speed (new with warranty) in a damaged box at his warehouse, he offered me $40 off the pump price. I took it! The total price for the pump was $348 plus $24 shipping. Now that's a deal. Anyway i asked him about my current setup and he directed me to a intermatic P1353ME to replace my old intermatic 115v timer mechanism. I just browsed the manual for the p1353me and i was wondering what mode to use. I just want to be prepared for the elelctrican so he won't waste time setting it up.

what is the correct mode for my setup?

intermatic P1353ME HELP? Correct mode setting?

HI,

Just ordered a superflo pump 1hp uprated, 2 speed, 230V, to replace my old superpump 115v. And also ordered an intermatic P1353ME to replace my older 115v intermatic timer.

My setup will be 2 speed 230v pump, and a 115v booster/cleaner pump, all controlled by the p1353me.

All electrical will be updated by an pro electrician. I thought i would figure out what mode setting is appropriate for my situation, so the electrician doesn't waste time with the manual.

Mode 2 – (Pump High, Pump Low, Aux3)
The time switch is a 2-circuit switch with the 1st & 2nd switch controlling a two-speed pump. The 3rd switch is controlling any auxiliary device. All protection associated with a two speed pump is preprogrammed into this mode.

Mode 4 – (Pump High, Pump Low, Cleaner Pump)
The time switch is a 2-circuit switch with the 1st & 2nd switch controlling a 2-speed pump. The 3rd switch is controlling a booster/cleaner pump. All protection associated with a 2-speed pump and booster/cleaner pump combination is preprogrammed into this mode.

-later states:
Circuits one and two will never be ON at the same time, consistent with a two- speed pump application.

I thought that circuits 1 and 2 have to be on to make 240 volts and run the pump at high speed. or is does this mean that the high speed and low speed settings are not on at the same time, but internally making 240v for high speed, and 120v for low speed.

can this mode be used for 230v 2 speed pumps? i thought modes 2,4 and 5 were for 230v pumps?

From intermatic website:
Mode 5 – (Pump L1, Pump L2, Aux3)
The time switch is a 2-circuit switch with the 1st & 2nd switch controlling a 240V pump, where both L1 & L2 are required to be disconnected when the pump is OFF. The 3rd switch is controlling any auxiliary device.

If i use mode 5, I won't have the functionality of the timer protecting the booster/cleaner pump to turn it on only when the pump is running. am i right?

Thanks,
Moe

You are mixing up circuits 1 & 2 with the two hot wires of a 240 volt circuit. Those two do not correspond. One hot wire gets wired directly to the common terminal of the pump, while the other hot wire goes to either the high speed or low speed connections, switched by circuits 1 & 2 on the timer.

Since all three circuits on the timer are independent of each other, it is easy to use circuit 3 on the timer at 120 volts at the same time that circuits 1 & 2 are switching 240 volts for the pump.

If you use mode 5 you will only get a single pump speed (unless there is some additional switch somewhere else).

ok,

thanks. I understand now. switching to high or low speed setting, does not coincide with the wire terminals for the hot wires. All switching for the speeds in done internal by the timer's computer.

My current subpanel is only equipped with 2 slots. I will need to update that as well, so i can the accommodate 3 breaker slots. I'm thinking of going with an intermatic T21000r panel for the upgrade. I found one on amazon for $91. Or I could go with a regular 6 slot breaker box for a little less, $50-$65, maybe more from the electrician, but you don't get the convenience of all wiring in one box and neatness. What would you do?

moe

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.