dust or algae??

Aug 2, 2011
I'm a newbie here. I bought a pool (Intex 12' x 30" above ground) for my family in June as we now have 3 kids: 12yr, 4 yrs and now a 9 mth old. Things have been fine and the pool has been fun and sparkly ......until we *finally* got rain and then the pool started to look 'dirty' - also it might be helpful to say we have a large tree in the middle of our yard and the pool is close to it.

I will say that the filter was in need of replacement when the "dirty" look started coming on (everyone was OUT!) but I have now replaced it.

The readings (via test strips.....I know, they are not liked on here), I also have a drop test kit:

Before the storm: After the storm:

TH: 200 100
FC: 5 2
pH: 7.2 7.2
TA: 120 180
CYA: 30-50 0

Drop test readings:
FC: 5 3
pH: 7.2 7.5

Since I'm new to having a pool I can not determine if the "dirty" look is just dust/dirt blown in from storm as well as due to our tree? Or if it's alge growing?

How do I get rid of the dust on the bottom of pool (the 'stuff' looks like dirt when I use the leaf skimmer to disturb it)? How do I know if it's alge?

I'm sorry if I'm asking what may be simple questions with obvious answers but I just feel plain lost?

Do I shock the pool? How much? I have the pump that came with the pool and I'm a little afraid to run it 24/7 and burning it out, but do I need to run it for 24 hrs to see if that fixes it?

Also, what are these "socks" I've seen people talking about when helping to filter?

Any help would be very appreciated!!
Thanks!

Re: dust or alge??

Welcome to TFP!

Mostly that probably is dirt, not algae. Your FC level didn't fall all the way to zero, so chance are you just need to get FC back up to 5 or 6, vacuum up the debris, and everything will work out.

Skimmer socks are small nylon sock things, rather like knee high stockings, that are designed to be put in the skimmer basket to catch dirt before it gets to the filter. They allow you to go longer between filter cleanings.

You definitely need better test results. The storm would have lowered the FC level, and could well have changed the PH, but it wouldn't have had any significant effect on TA or CYA. That means those changes are almost certainly testing error, one of the reasons I'm not fond of test strips.

Dirt on the bottom needs to be vacuumed up. Do you have a manual vacuum (hose, vacuum head, pole)? If not, you should get one.

Re: dust or alge??

Thank you for the reply, Jason!

I'm very relieved to hear you don't think it's algae!! I didn't think it was but again being a newbie at this pool stuff, one can't be too sure. ; )

I will be getting a better test kit soon...I'm easing my way into all this pool stuff, lol.

I actually do have the manual vacuum but the dirt just goes right through the net on it. grr! any suggestions on that?? ; ) I actually thought about putting a real knee high type stocking on it to see if that worked any better!! lol! I will look into an over the side skimmer as well so it will help with the filter life span.

Thanks again!

I'll tell you this much...the filter that came with that pool will not clear up your water and it definitely won't allow you to vacuum. The best you'll be able to do is to use a hose and create a suction vacuum pulling over the side of the pool. I had the 637R filter (might be the same as yours) running 24/7, cleaned every other day, and it did absolutely nothing for me. I upgraded to a sand filter and it had my pool crystal clear in hours! Plus, I can now use a real vacuum.

The Walmart brand filters will catch smaller particles, you might try those but they need cleaning daily. The first time I used them, they were full in 12 hours needing cleaning (two pumps, one pool). And that was on a clear pool w/chemistry in check. A pool clearing algae will fill them up faster than u think but it's worth a try if u have no choice but to use a stock pump.
I've always used stock pumps, have shocked successfully with stock equipment as well. I have upgrade sand filter here right now, but not installed and currently running stock pumps still.

I agree. These pumps stink, but with a lot of effort by humans, it can work.

I do suggest a second pump if u can locate a cheap used one. It will help, immensely.
Or just get the sand filter, that's prolly the best option.

Put a toddler sized pair of tights inside the vacuum bag, the opaque thick kind. I double up the legs personally.

Thank you!!

I am currently rinsing the filters off every few hours during this 24/7 filtering time to help keep excess out of pool.

My boys are dying to swim!!! Think it's ok in situations like this since the numbers are good?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.