Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Do I add clarifier?

1. Back To Top    #1

Do I add clarifier?

I just found this forum the other day, and I should have come here before I even bought my Toys R Us pool. I had algae, got a "green to blue" kit from Walmart, and promptly realized that I don't have the type of pool/vacuum to be able to get the waste out. TFP suggested a siphon, and I've now successfully gotten all that **** off the bottom of my pool.

In the process, I lost a lot of water. So I'm currently adding more water to bring it up to level. In the meantime, here are my test results. I'm using an HTH 6 way kit, so anything not listed is because I can't get it.

TC: 1
    pH: 7.2
    CYA: 0 (I never knew I needed to add this. Oops.)
    TA: 100
    TH: 0

According to the pool calculator, I added 9.1 oz bleach and 24 oz stabilizer. The other day I bought HTH Clarifier from Walmart. It says "clears cloudy, dull pool water." It says to add 5 oz per 5000 gallons. The active ingredient is cationic polymer. My water is a little cloudy right now, but I also just added the bleach and stabilizer a few minutes ago. Do I add this clarifier now, or wait, or never add it? It's not opened so I can easily return it.
    18'X48" Summer Waves 7600 gallons
    1 HP Hayward sand filter/pump combo
    TF100 test kit
    Still have so much learning to do

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Do I add clarifier?

I wouldn't use it. Just hold on and see what happens now that you have chlorine in the pool. Do you know how long it sat without chlorine?
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

I agree with RobbieH, I wouldn't use it. You should not need it if you follow the methods on this site. Have you read: Beginners Guide for Seasonal/Temporary Pools, you can ignore using dichor (mentioned in step 5) since you have made the smart move to granular stabilizer already.

Keep you chlorine level at 6 ppm per the poolcalculator. If your pool remains cloudy by tonight, I would do a OCLT...see: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...rnight_fc_test and post the results.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

4. Back To Top    #4

I've been adding chlorine and/or shocking about every other day since I put it up in the beginning of June. But I guess since I didn't have the CYA stuff, it was just being eaten up.

I haven't read the guide to seasonal pools (or pool school for that matter...I know, I know!). I'll get right on that. I'll see how the pool does today as everything circulates. I'll do that night test tonight.

And when I go to work at midnight, I'll start reading the guide, and pool school, and everything else I should have read before I bought a pool and thought I could handle it with Walmart knowledge.
    TF100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Ban26ana
    I've been adding chlorine and/or shocking about every other day since I put it up in the beginning of June. But I guess since I didn't have the CYA stuff, it was just being eaten up.
    And shocking is a process not an event, you shock until you meet criteria and only then do you stop...you will read about it in pool school. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...king_your_pool

I haven't read the guide to seasonal pools (or pool school for that matter...I know, I know!). I'll get right on that. I'll see how the pool does today as everything circulates. I'll do that night test tonight.
    And get a good test kit ASAP, it will make your life with a pool much easier to manage. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...kit_comparison

And when I go to work at midnight, I'll start reading the guide, and pool school, and everything else I should have read before I bought a pool and thought I could handle it with Walmart knowledge.
    You will get it, and if you need help/clarification...that is what this board is for!
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks. I feel like an idiot for not researching anything beforehand, and just listening to some minimum wage teenagers for my pool supplies. Eh, live and learn.
    TF100 test kit