Do I add clarifier?

Jul 31, 2011
Galloway, NJ
I just found this forum the other day, and I should have come here before I even bought my Toys R Us pool. I had algae, got a "green to blue" kit from Walmart, and promptly realized that I don't have the type of pool/vacuum to be able to get the waste out. TFP suggested a siphon, and I've now successfully gotten all that Crud off the bottom of my pool.

In the process, I lost a lot of water. So I'm currently adding more water to bring it up to level. In the meantime, here are my test results. I'm using an HTH 6 way kit, so anything not listed is because I can't get it.

TC: 1
pH: 7.2
CYA: 0 (I never knew I needed to add this. Oops.)
TA: 100
TH: 0

According to the pool calculator, I added 9.1 oz bleach and 24 oz stabilizer. The other day I bought HTH Clarifier from Walmart. It says "clears cloudy, dull pool water." It says to add 5 oz per 5000 gallons. The active ingredient is cationic polymer. My water is a little cloudy right now, but I also just added the bleach and stabilizer a few minutes ago. Do I add this clarifier now, or wait, or never add it? It's not opened so I can easily return it.

I've been adding chlorine and/or shocking about every other day since I put it up in the beginning of June. But I guess since I didn't have the CYA stuff, it was just being eaten up.

I haven't read the guide to seasonal pools (or pool school for that matter...I know, I know!). I'll get right on that. I'll see how the pool does today as everything circulates. I'll do that night test tonight.

And when I go to work at midnight, I'll start reading the guide, and pool school, and everything else I should have read before I bought a pool and thought I could handle it with Walmart knowledge.

Ban26ana said:
I've been adding chlorine and/or shocking about every other day since I put it up in the beginning of June. But I guess since I didn't have the CYA stuff, it was just being eaten up.
And shocking is a process not an event, you shock until you meet criteria and only then do you stop...you will read about it in pool school. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/shocking_your_pool

I haven't read the guide to seasonal pools (or pool school for that matter...I know, I know!). I'll get right on that. I'll see how the pool does today as everything circulates. I'll do that night test tonight.
And get a good test kit ASAP, it will make your life with a pool much easier to manage. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/pool_test_kit_comparison

And when I go to work at midnight, I'll start reading the guide, and pool school, and everything else I should have read before I bought a pool and thought I could handle it with Walmart knowledge.
You will get it, and if you need help/clarification...that is what this board is for!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.