Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 21 ft pool...help me choose a pump sand filter combo.

1. Back To Top    #1

21 ft pool...help me choose a pump sand filter combo.

21 foot pool. Is 1hp 2 speed pump enough on half speed to just run and use the 1hp for cleaning ?
    Was looking at this heyward pump SP15922S (1HP 2 speed) or this SP15932S(1.5 HP 2 speed).
    to combine with one of thesethe S180T(18 inch) or the S210T (21 inch)
    If anyone can help Id appreciate it.
    21' All Steel AGP with Resin caps, Heyward S244T Sand Filter, Heyward 1HP 2 speed pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 21 ft pool...help me choose a pump sand filter combo.

I have that size of pool and that exact pump (1 hp 2 speed that is). Works great for me, I generally only run it on high when running my roof mounted solar panels or when I am running my vacuum (which I do not do often). Besides that, I run on the slower speed 24/7. The 1.5 hp is oversized in my opinion, so not a good idea for you pool.My filter is a 20 inch meteor which I think is rated for 45 gpm (I will have to look). For filter, definitely go with the 21 inch (at least over the 18 inch). Pentair makes a 3/4 hp 2 speed pump that I almost bought, and would have been a good fit for this size pool.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

a 1hp 2-speed is fine for your pool. You'll only have to run it on low except when vacuuming or backwashing. I'd opt for the largest filter I could afford.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    a 1hp 2-speed is fine for your pool. You'll only have to run it on low except when vacuuming or backwashing. I'd opt for the largest filter I could afford.
    Great thanks guys. Does it matter if I only have a 1hp pump and say a 24" sand filter ? Will it be powerful enough ?
    21' All Steel AGP with Resin caps, Heyward S244T Sand Filter, Heyward 1HP 2 speed pump

5. Back To Top    #5

More than enough power
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

6. Back To Top    #6

Just echoing what Dman said. The 1 hp pump and a 24" filter is a good match.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

7. Back To Top    #7

Just echoing what Dman said. The 1 hp pump and a 24" filter is a good match.
    Thanks so much for the answers. I was looking at this filter...24" --there seems to be some wildy varied prices from 24" filter to filter...will this one get the job done ? Is there something cheaper that willl be equally effective ?
    http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/poolsupp ... /S244T.htm

Id like to order from amazon if possible(I have prime) because they ship REALLY fast.

8. Back To Top    #8

The S244T is a great filter. Any of them in the 24-26" range that holds about 250#'s of sand will do.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

The S244T is a great filter. Any of them in the 24-26" range that holds about 250#'s of sand will do.
    thanks I will order that on then from pool supply world. They are cheaper than amazon.
    I have the Wilbar Oyster Bay 21 AGP--steel with res caps. I did not get a skimmer with it...are all wide mouth skimmers the same size ?
    I was looking at this one...
    http://www.amazon.com/Hydro-Tools-8939G ... 361&sr=8-2
    Pelican pools wanted 150.00 for a skimmer. Sounded like a rip so I passed

10. Back To Top    #10

That one is fine.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

That one is fine.
    Any idea if the S244T comes with a base ? or for theat matter...do I NEED a base ?

12. Back To Top    #12

It comes with a base. It doesn't come with the pump/filter combo base unless you order the combo.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

13. Back To Top    #13

ok thanks. I saw some reviews online that said it didnt come with the base.

14. Back To Top    #14

I have the S220T (22" 250lb) on a 24ft pool if you are looking to save a few bucks, is more than adequate for a 21' pool. As far as a base is concerned for my filter and pump, I just used a 36x36" PVC ac condenser pad found at your local hvac/plumbing supply store
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator