Algae Prevention

Jun 10, 2011
SE Michigan
My new pool has been opened for less than 2 months. In that time, we've had two substantial storms and, after each storm, my pool has turned a greenish tint and cloudy. Both times I believe I had adequate chlorine levels (I test every day and it has never been below) but it didn't stop the greenish hue from appearing. The first time I didn't do anything different, just kept up my FC, and in a few days I was back to crystal clear water. This last time ( documented here http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-after-a-storm-t36851.html ) it was a little greener, so I've shocked it 3 nights in a row. Although it is still a little cloudy today, the 4th day since the storm, it is obvious the pool will be back to clear as long as I keep the FC where it needs to be. My problem stems from the fact that I don't want my pool to be cloudy for 3-4 days every time we have a storm, so I'm wondering what I can do to prevent it other than maintain adequate FC levels, which I have done but it didn't stop the algae.

In the link above, I mention an auto-fill I have on my pool which was not hooked up. I hooked it up this weekend and there was some algae in there that I had to clean out. I wonder if this was the cause of my sudden green tint after a storm. when the storms hit, they would literally fill up the pool with as much water as it would take. I can logically assume that this also would've increased the water level in the auto-fill and then possibly some algae could flow back into the pool. now that this is cleaned out, I'm hoping algae outbreaks after a storm are a thing of the past, but I'd like to be safe and use an algae preventor if they are worth the money.

Should I put an algae preventer in my pool if a big storm is being forecasted or are these things a waste of money? from what I've read, it is impossible for algae to form if FC is at an adequate level, is that correct? if so, maybe I should wait until the next storm to see what happens. if the pool stays clear, I can assume the auto-fill was my problem. if it gets cloudy again, then use an algae preventor going forward?

Your description doesn't convince me it's algae. If you have complete confidence in your chlorine levels prior to a rainstorm, that storm should have little influence in getting algae in the pool....autofill or not.

How long after the rain did the green tint appear? As your pool cleared, did you observe any dead algae (usually looking like fine brownish-green dirt) on the bottom?

duraleigh said:
Your description doesn't convince me it's algae. If you have complete confidence in your chlorine levels prior to a rainstorm, that storm should have little influence in getting algae in the pool....autofill or not.

How long after the rain did the green tint appear? As your pool cleared, did you observe any dead algae (usually looking like fine brownish-green dirt) on the bottom?

it rained all night and filled up my pool. I backwashed to lower the water level. water was a little cloudy but the solar cover was on and I had to go to work so I don't exactly remember how bad it was. It didn't raise any alarms at that time but maybe it should have. anyway, it rained again the next night and filled the pool again. in the morning, I drained it back down again and pulled the cover off to see the green pool. not real green, but definitely green enough where you'd notice, and very cloudy. I added some chlorine then to bring my levels up to 8.5 and left for work. at work, I started reading about algae on this site and thought I should shock the pool since I saw the green, and green means algae, no?

I couldn't see the bottom so I don't know about dead algae there but I did vacuum a couple days in a row there to clear up what I thought was dirt from the storm runoff. didn't see any brownish-green dirt today but the pool was still cloudy, although better than yesterday. I could barely make out the bottom of the deep end today through the milky blue water. I'm still not sure I had algae either, but what else could it be?

JasonLion said:
A complete set of water test results might provide important clues.

here is what I had tonight:

FC - 6 - 8
CC - ??
TA - 100
Ph - 7.5
CYA - 40

the details on my chlorine test are in the link. I won't have more powder until tomorrow. a guy at the pool store I called looking for powder said that I could add 50/50 distilled water/pool water, add 5 drops and get a reading I could double. It was definitely less than 5, but a regular test showed it over 5. I couldn't do the CC test without the powder either.

I added more chlorine to bring it up around 16 again but I can't be sure without a good test. the pool is improving but I want to try and make sure it doesn't happen again if I can help it.

Shock the pool. However, there is no reason to do it incorrectly....wait for the DPD powder to get in so you can shock the pool according to pool school.
Follow those instructions carefully.

got my powder and will have good test results tonight. by the time I get home, I'm expecting the pool to be pretty clear. might shock it one more night if not.

so whats the verdict on Algae Preventors? will they stop this sort of thing from happening again?

I'm going to bump up my FC to the 8-10 level when the next storm is forecasted and see what happens.....

Chlorine is your algae preventer. You should not need any pool-store products to keep your pool algae free. I will say though that adding borates to my pool seemed to stabilize the pool when FC gets a little low (not zero), but it could just be that my other work has stabilized the pool to the point that low FC just doesn't happen anymore.

I know it's said time and time again, but I have got to say it once more; please remember shocking your pool is a process, not a one time addition. You can't really "shock it again" when you should be holding shock level for the entire process if shocking your pool is your goal and intention.

RobbieH said:
I know it's said time and time again, but I have got to say it once more; please remember shocking your pool is a process, not a one time addition. You can't really "shock it again" when you should be holding shock level for the entire process if shocking your pool is your goal and intention.

yes but without the powder I've had use my remaining powder sparsely and tested only once a day at night. I'd bump it to 16 and the next day it'd be down to 11-12 and I'd bump it back up. I'm sure its fallen below shock level at times but the high FC was still turning the cloudy green to cloudy blue to just blue.

pool looked better again today but I've got to go out and pull off the cover and give it a good look once I get my little one to bed. if its clear, I'm going to let my FC fall back to the 7-8 range. if its not clear, I'm going to bump it back to 16. either way, I will do the OCLT tonight and see if I lose any FC.

going to ride out the next storm, make sure my FC stays up throughout, and see what happens...

thanks everyone. this place is a great resource for new pool owners like myself.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
just wanted to update this and tell everyone thanks for the responses.

my pool is back to clear and hopefully will be from here on out. I think I identified the problem after doing a lot of reading from this site. the likely culprit: my solar cover.

there have been numerous occassions it was removed and just rolled up and left in the sun. I haven't seen anything on it but this had to be the cause. It has been off of the pool for the last week and a half now, we've gotten a couple decent storms and I had no green in the pool.

I want to unroll it in the yard and take a close look at it. Can anyone tell me what exactly I should be looking for? could there be green spots or is it not that obvious? I haven't seen anything out of the ordinary on my cursory looks at it but haven't unrolled it all the way.

Just clean it with a bleach solution. Scrub it on up all over, wear clothes you don't care about. Not sure about the concentration you'll need, I'd just make it super strong if it were me. I think Butterfly has posted recently about the bleach solution to clean a cover with. Do not mix the bleach with soap (dishsoap, bar soap, detergent). Detergent and bleach emits toxic vapors.

Not a lot of reason to inspect it, the algae might be invisible.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.