Terre Haute indiana
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60
been keeping pool at shock levels since july 23. its still dropping about 6ppm by oclt. cya of 40 been shocking at 18. ph 7.6 TA of 130 and a ch of 260 water looks great. just wonding if this is normal to take this long or am i missing something. gone through a lot of 12.5 1gal. chlorine

What day did you get the test kit?

If I read your other thread correctly you really only been shocking for about a week or less and in the beginning you weren't keeping it at shock all the time. That tends to slow it down some. It's pretty typical for it to take a week or two to complete the shock process.

Keep it up, you'll get there.

sorry for the delay the internet been down. got the test kit a week ago monday. get the numbers up to 18 to 20 in the evening and next am its down to 11 to12 been like that for a little morre than a week, will they gradually go up or jump up to just losing 1 or none at all. thanks for your help. pool looks great

will they gradually go up or jump up to just losing 1 or none at all.
Hard to say but most folks report a pretty dramatic decrease in chlorine consumption. You have been doing the right thing by adding in the evening and I suspect, in the next day or two, you will see the change in your test results.....I bet it will be fairly sudden.

I'm pretty new to this forum, and have just gone through a similar situation. From my limited experience, I found that going to higher shock levels, and shocking several times a day finally brought the problem to a close. I now have clear water, bleaching to FC 7-8 each evening, OCLT of 0-1, CC 0-1, and evening FC of 3-4. In sunny California, I lose about 40% of the FC each day.

Keep shocking; it works.

Hi REBARBEE ,
Mine was doing the same when I shocked my pool, I read here that I should try going 3 above my shock value of 16 (CYA of 40) so I went up to 19-20 and then I wouldn't ever fall below my shock value of 16 with my free chlorine loss. :roll:
It didn't take very long for that to work and clear the water 3 months ago, has been perfect ever since with very little work to keep it this way! :party:

Chuck

Same here, I shocked for over 3 weeks until I started bumping my shock numbers up a little bit....after that it was only 2-3 days. The harder you hit it and the better you are about maintaining the shock ppm the quicker it seems to go.

I'm new to TFP as well. But, I just followed the "shock process" advice and it took 8 full days to stop losing FC overnight. The last two days I actually kept the shock level at about 40 because my CYA is 70-80. (I have an SWG). I think that' s what finally did it. Good luck. I'm sure you'll be ok soon.

ta is 150, ph 7.6, cya 40, cc of .5 or less, keeping fc up around 20-22 pool looks great, no visable signs of anything growing and still losing 5 to 7 from around 8 pm to 6 am. still using 12.5 chlorine. just keep shocking?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We had great looking water but there turned out to be a patch of algae in the light niche. We dove in to search and my hubby found it. Never would have seen it otherwise. Used a toothbrush to scrub it. Brought the shock level up extra high and in two days we passed the oclt. The pool has been holding since monday night. Keep at it. You'll get there.

You should be checking fc levels at least every couple of hours not just at night and morning. I have a feeling your fc is dropping below shock level during tye day giving algea a chance to survive. Adding chloine several time a day to maintain shock level is the fastest way to fix your pool

Made It. had a oclt loss of .5 and a cc of less than .5 think i will leave it at shock levels for the day to be sure, going to start checking ph and ta a little closer now. thanks everyone

sorry no pics but yes the water is very clear, never looked this good. am i understanding this right that when the chlorine levels drop to my target of 7 with a min. of 3 that the swings wont be as big. i think one post said to expect a 50 percent loss.so if i'm at 7 in the eary am it should drop to 5 during the day and then bring it back up to 7 that night. hope you can figure out what i'm trying to say.

its looking good. have a fc of 10 falling to goal of 7-3, cc 0, tc 10, cya of 40, ch 280, ph 7.5 and ta of 150. pool school recommended ph level for vinyl is 70-90+ . is 150 to high and do i add the acid the cal. says at once? think it was around 45 oz

You don't want to add enough acid to drop TA=150 all at once, because your pH will go way too low. To lower TA, you drop the pH to 7.2, aerate to raise the pH back to 7.8 (reducing TA in the process), and repeat as needed. There's an article in Pool School with fuller details.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.