Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: still shocking

1. Back To Top    #1

still shocking

been keeping pool at shock levels since july 23. its still dropping about 6ppm by oclt. cya of 40 been shocking at 18. ph 7.6 TA of 130 and a ch of 260 water looks great. just wonding if this is normal to take this long or am i missing something. gone through a lot of 12.5 1gal. chlorine
    19500 gal, IG, haywood s-200 sand filter & pump, 3/4 horse single speed motor, vinyl liner, tf 100 test kit, installed early 80's, Terre haute,In

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: still shocking

What day did you get the test kit?

If I read your other thread correctly you really only been shocking for about a week or less and in the beginning you weren't keeping it at shock all the time. That tends to slow it down some. It's pretty typical for it to take a week or two to complete the shock process.

Keep it up, you'll get there.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

sorry for the delay the internet been down. got the test kit a week ago monday. get the numbers up to 18 to 20 in the evening and next am its down to 11 to12 been like that for a little morre than a week, will they gradually go up or jump up to just losing 1 or none at all. thanks for your help. pool looks great
    19500 gal, IG, haywood s-200 sand filter & pump, 3/4 horse single speed motor, vinyl liner, tf 100 test kit, installed early 80's, Terre haute,In

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

will they gradually go up or jump up to just losing 1 or none at all.
    Hard to say but most folks report a pretty dramatic decrease in chlorine consumption. You have been doing the right thing by adding in the evening and I suspect, in the next day or two, you will see the change in your test results.....I bet it will be fairly sudden.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm pretty new to this forum, and have just gone through a similar situation. From my limited experience, I found that going to higher shock levels, and shocking several times a day finally brought the problem to a close. I now have clear water, bleaching to FC 7-8 each evening, OCLT of 0-1, CC 0-1, and evening FC of 3-4. In sunny California, I lose about 40% of the FC each day.

Keep shocking; it works.
    22,500 gal, in-ground, plaster, Intelliflo VS 3050 pump, Sta-Rite 400 sq. ft. cartridge filter, solar panels on roof

6. Back To Top    #6

Hi REBARBEE ,
    Mine was doing the same when I shocked my pool, I read here that I should try going 3 above my shock value of 16 (CYA of 40) so I went up to 19-20 and then I wouldn't ever fall below my shock value of 16 with my free chlorine loss.
    It didn't take very long for that to work and clear the water 3 months ago, has been perfect ever since with very little work to keep it this way!

Chuck
    Swim n Play 21' round, expandable 72" liner, 6FT deep center, buried 14", 12,750 Gallons
    Waterway 1HP-2 speed with 22" Sand filter
    TF-100 test kit
    Thanks to TFP my pool is perfect all the time :party:
    I now suffer from Sparklypoolitis! :whoot:
    I am a Platinum contributor because I want everyone who comes here to Trouble Free Pool to have the same success that I enjoy with my pool and family.

7. Back To Top    #7

Same here, I shocked for over 3 weeks until I started bumping my shock numbers up a little bit....after that it was only 2-3 days. The harder you hit it and the better you are about maintaining the shock ppm the quicker it seems to go.
    18x36 Vinyl In-ground w/roman ends 27,400G, Hayward 3/4hp with 300# sand filter. Hayward heat pump heater

Pool School
    Pool Calculator
    Test Kits

8. Back To Top    #8

I'm new to TFP as well. But, I just followed the "shock process" advice and it took 8 full days to stop losing FC overnight. The last two days I actually kept the shock level at about 40 because my CYA is 70-80. (I have an SWG). I think that' s what finally did it. Good luck. I'm sure you'll be ok soon.
    Kristyn

8100 Gal 12X20 vinyl IG pool. Hayward H200 heater, super pump and Pro Grid DE3620 Filter.TF100 test kit

9. Back To Top    #9

ta is 150, ph 7.6, cya 40, cc of .5 or less, keeping fc up around 20-22 pool looks great, no visable signs of anything growing and still losing 5 to 7 from around 8 pm to 6 am. still using 12.5 chlorine. just keep shocking?

10. Back To Top    #10

Yep, keep shocking. Make sure to check & brush all possible hiding places, like ladders & light niches and don't forget to brush, brush, brush!
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

11. Back To Top    #11

We had great looking water but there turned out to be a patch of algae in the light niche. We dove in to search and my hubby found it. Never would have seen it otherwise. Used a toothbrush to scrub it. Brought the shock level up extra high and in two days we passed the oclt. The pool has been holding since monday night. Keep at it. You'll get there.
    Kristyn

8100 Gal 12X20 vinyl IG pool. Hayward H200 heater, super pump and Pro Grid DE3620 Filter.TF100 test kit

12. Back To Top    #12

You should be checking fc levels at least every couple of hours not just at night and morning. I have a feeling your fc is dropping below shock level during tye day giving algea a chance to survive. Adding chloine several time a day to maintain shock level is the fastest way to fix your pool
    24' 52" Above Ground
    BBB
    LOVE TFP
    TF Test kits, Pool School, Pool Calculator

13. Back To Top    #13

Made It. had a oclt loss of .5 and a cc of less than .5 think i will leave it at shock levels for the day to be sure, going to start checking ph and ta a little closer now. thanks everyone

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by REBARBEE
    Made It. had a oclt loss of .5 and a cc of less than .5 think i will leave it at shock levels for the day to be sure, going to start checking ph and ta a little closer now. thanks everyone
    Sounds great! The water is clear, too, right?

Got a pic for us?
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

15. Back To Top    #15

sorry no pics but yes the water is very clear, never looked this good. am i understanding this right that when the chlorine levels drop to my target of 7 with a min. of 3 that the swings wont be as big. i think one post said to expect a 50 percent loss.so if i'm at 7 in the eary am it should drop to 5 during the day and then bring it back up to 7 that night. hope you can figure out what i'm trying to say.

16. Back To Top    #16

In the Industry

I understand and you are correct. The chlorine loss you're predicting (2ppm daily) may be closer to 3 but you're close.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

17. Back To Top    #17

its looking good. have a fc of 10 falling to goal of 7-3, cc 0, tc 10, cya of 40, ch 280, ph 7.5 and ta of 150. pool school recommended ph level for vinyl is 70-90+ . is 150 to high and do i add the acid the cal. says at once? think it was around 45 oz

18. Back To Top    #18

You don't want to add enough acid to drop TA=150 all at once, because your pH will go way too low. To lower TA, you drop the pH to 7.2, aerate to raise the pH back to 7.8 (reducing TA in the process), and repeat as needed. There's an article in Pool School with fuller details.
    20k gallon IGP
    Plaster over gunite
    3/4 hp Hayward pump
    Purex Triton DE filter
    TF100 test kit w/ speedstir