Help get my routine down - PB advice vs. TFP advice

Ack

Aug 1, 2011
I'm a new pool owner and trying to get my maintenance routine figured out. I've read Pool School and various discussions on this forum extensively. There are some discrepancies between what my PB is recommending and what this site recommends. Most seem to come down to the fact that I have a Nature2 cartridge. I realize that people here aren't fans of them, but I figure since I've already paid for it I'll keep it in for at least this season as long as it won't damage my pool.

Here are the details of my new pool:

[*]Plaster
[*]18,000 gallons according to PB. 22,000-25,000 gal according to my measurements (measurement is difficult due to free-form sun ledge, benches, and steps).
[*]1.5 HP pump / sand filter
[*]Nature2 cartridge
[*]No SWG

Pool builder says to shock once per week by adding 32 oz of 65% chlorine granules and to keep chlorine level around 0.5-1.0 ideally. Add chlorine before weekly shock if level drops below 0.5. Is this correct, or should I still shoot for the higher ideal chlorine levels recommended here? Will higher chlorine levels along with the Nature2 system hurt anything?

Pool builder says to keep the pump running 24/7. I've read elsewhere that 6 hours per day is ok. Can I get by with running it less, or should I run it 24/7 during the swimming season as the PB says?

Thanks for any help or advice you can provide!

You should follow the advice you find here.
One of the first things you should do is get a good test kit.
Keep your FC at the recommended level for your CYA.
Do you have a single speed or a 2-speed pump?
If you have a 2-speed, then running it 24 hours a day isn't all that bad, but probably not required. If it's a single speed then I would start by running it 8 hours a day and see how it does. You can adjust from there.

The Nature2 system uses silver. You may need to purchase chemicals to keep the silver in solution to prevent stains.

You shock a pool to kill algae. There is no reason to shock if you properly maintain your pool. You should add chlorine on a daily basis. You shock a pool with chlorine products, e.g bleach or chlorine granules.

Since you have a new plaster pool you need to ensure that your water has the appropriate calcium level. You should run your pump sufficient number of hours so that the water is properly filtered. The number of hours required depends on the size of your pool pipes, the size of your pump, the amount of dirt and leaves blown into the pool, the number of people using the pool, etc. Some pools are properly filtered in six hours. 24/7 pump operation will cause a substantial increase in your electric bill and may not improve the water clarity more than an 8 hour operation of the pump.

Thanks for the advice. I've already ordered the test kit recommended here. While I wait for it to arrive I'm limping along with the cheap 4-way kit my PB gave me and some HTH test strips from Wal-mart.

I think I have a single speed pump. At least I don't see any way to change the speed. Once I get the good test kit so I can monitor things better I'll try running the pump less and see what happens.

If you look on the data plate for the motor it will list 2 different speeds like 3450/1725 if it's a 2-speed. You may also have a variable speed or multispeed pump. A model number would help identify it.

That's obviously a single speed pump and therefore I'd run it about 8 hours a day.

I didn't find that number on Pentair's site for any of there pumps, but it shows up as a Century SQ1102 single speed motor.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.