Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Life expentancy of plaster

1. Back To Top    #1

Life expentancy of plaster

Bought our house in 02 and there was some patching of the plaster done on the steps. Rest of the pool looked solid albeit a bit of discoloration in the plaster on the bottom. Fast forward to today and it seems that i have quite a bit of de-lamination happening just below the water line tile. It started off small and has grown in the deep end to about 6" below the water is an area about 4' long. In other areas it is sporadic and only about 1/2" below the tile and in spots of sever inches long. Behind the plaster is what appears to be more plaster. I know for a fact it is not the gun-nite. Pool was built in 91. What i am wondering is if the plaster was re coated or this is the original finish. What is the life expectancy of plaster? Seeing in 02 the finish looked used and was patched on the steps i suspect it is the original?

Ill put a few pictures up tonight when i get home.

thanks

Mike
    Kidney shaped ~ 10000 gallon Ig Plaster pool with pool cage. 120sf Cartridge filter. Pentair WhisperFlo WFDS-26, 230 Volt, 7.8/3.0 Amp, 1-1/2 Horsepower 2 speed pump, Solar panels on the roof. Heliotrope HelioMatic 4000D solar controller.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Life expentancy of plaster

It's going to depend a lot on how well the water is maintained as far as calcium and pH, but 10 years is ballpark.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Life expentancy of plaster

Calcium has always been around 350 and ph I maintain to the best of my abilities. Adding acid once a week or so. It likes to rise even with my TA around 80.

so in 02 it was showing a lot of wear on the steps and this is 2011. I would say it is well over 10 and that I just need to suck it up and have it redone. The majority of the de-laminatin has been going on this season. There was a bit last season but not to the levels it is happening now.
    Kidney shaped ~ 10000 gallon Ig Plaster pool with pool cage. 120sf Cartridge filter. Pentair WhisperFlo WFDS-26, 230 Volt, 7.8/3.0 Amp, 1-1/2 Horsepower 2 speed pump, Solar panels on the roof. Heliotrope HelioMatic 4000D solar controller.