Autopilot Salt Water Generator Service Light

Jake1

Jul 31, 2011
Hello,

I am new to this forum so I hope that I am doing this correctly. I have a AutoPilot Soft Touch SC36 that is approx. 5 years old. It recently stopped producing chlorine so I finally replaced the cell. It started producing chlorine again immediately and still is but now the service light is flashing twice. I have checked all trouble shooting tips that are listed on the AutoPilot site to see if I could figure out what was going on with no success.
The only thing I am not really sure of is the voltage test on the PS at the J3 location. Not really sure where that is. I put my multimeter on the end of the cord that plugs into the salt cell and it does not give me any reading on DC volts. Checked all three fuses, salt level from pool store said 3500ppm, checked screen and all clear, calibrated unit to 3000ppm, powered down the unit and restarted, checked cell for any build-up and completely clean after a week and a half of use. I did the diagnostic check and reads the following: 95 degrees, 3000ppm, 28 volts, 1 amp. Amps i guess should be at five right?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Did you verify the salt level with a test? If you're actually at 3000 ppm, then the 1 amp may be an indication of a bad cell cord (did you happen to replace the cell cord too?), or a blow cell fuse. The cell fuse is at the upper left corner of the power module. You mentioned checking all three fuses...with a multimeter (by removing the fuse off the circuit board) or just a visual inspection?

Thank you for the quick reply. I had the water tested at the pool store last week and the salt was at 3500ppm. I had it tested again today and still at 3500ppm but this time almost no chlorine. I did not replace the cell cord only the cell. I have a fuse tester that I used to test the fuses with and did remove them to do this; all were OK. I saw only the three fuses...Did I miss one? I find it very strange that it was producing chlorine as soon as I put the new cell on but now has stopped again. Could it be that I messed things up by switching the calibration from 3900 to 3000. I changed it after reading that it could be the reason for the service light blinking after changing the salt cell. One other thing to mention is that I did test the cell cord with the multi meter while the salt level lights were blinking but not while in boost mode...Should I test only in boost mode or just forget it and try a new cell cord?
Thanks again for your help.

If it's not in BOOST ( which forces the cell ON), there's a chance that you may be testing when the cell is OFF (or in rest mode).
Calibrating the salt wouldn't affect the measurement of 28 volts @ 1 amp. It may only affect the salt diagnosis light status. It would not cause the 2x flashing light.
Again, if this was done when the unit was not in Boost mode, or if the Cell was in rest mode, then it's not reflective of the problem.
There are only three fuses. So if they all checked out OK, then it's pointing to the cell cord. However, run the test again, but in Boost mode and see if the amps and volts change from your previous reading.
You can check the condition of the cell cord by doing a continuity test. Place on test point on the black wire, and the other test point in the center hole of the cell cord plug. Set the meter on ohms. Verify continuity.
Next, place one test point on the red wire, and the other test point on either outer hole of the cell cord plug.
This is a different cell cord test, than testing for voltage on the cell cord plug. It's not going to verify if the cord is good or not.

Thanks again Sean...I tested the fuses again today and cleaned all contact points. I purchased and replaced the cell cord today and ran the diagnosis again. All of the readings were the same as noted in my first post. A couple other notes to mention that maybe indicators to you: I have not heard the fans come on in a very long time...so long that I actually forgot that the unit even had fans. Also, when I removed the old cell two weeks ago to replace it I was surprised to see that the blades were completely blocked up with build up. In the past five years of removing the cell to check for maintenance/cleaning the old cell never had any build-up to mention. I have my water tested at the pool store once a week so it is always balanced.
Is it time to give up and call in the pros or maybe one last attempt....the power board?
Thank you.
Jake

It may be time to. Usually, the 2x flashing light is due to low salt, cold water temps, scaled cell, or failing cell. A failed power supply would usually give you low volts along with low amps...but you're right, on Cell Power 1, it should be showing you 5 amps.
The fans should come on whenever the power supply is energized.
Sorry I couldn't help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.