what happens when plaster errodes

May 25, 2011
Jackson, MS
We are renting a house with a pool that has been nothing but trouble. Since the homeowner had it opened in May, we have not seen the bottom of the deep end.

Right now I am in an argument with my husband about the plaster. When plaster erodes, will that cause cloudiness in the water? I'm having trouble getting our pool to clear up and w hen we brush it, we've noticed that the water around the newly brushed area appears cloudy.

We are getting ready to call the homeowner to discuss possible problems with the filter and pool maintenance, but wanted to get some opinions first.

Please let me know if you need any additional information.

Badly deteriorating plaster can cause cloudiness when brushed. Cloudiness when brushing is also common for a painted pool.

A full set of chemical readings will be helpful. Both current and past numbers, if possible.

What's quite bad??? It looks awful to me.
I've attached a photo of the top stair that doesn't have water on it right now, and the tip of the deep end.

I'm trying to figure out what to tell our landlord. We chose this house because of the pool and it has been so much trouble that I'm beginning to think its something with the actual pool or filter to be honest.

Also, I have new numbers, but I was battling some algae so my FC is high from a shock yesterday. I had to turn off the skimmers and only have the bottom filter going because I need to top off the pool from a vacuum to waste yesterday as well. I added some muriatic acid last week...guess I added a bit too much.

FC 13.5
CC 0.5
Ph 7.2
TA 150
Ch 50
Cya 80

On July 20th when I got my test kit, my numbers were:
FC 3
CC 0.6
Ph 8
TA 160
Ch 60
CYA 20

Attachments

• photo-4.JPG
    photo-4.JPG
    150.3 KB · Views: 121
  • photo(1).JPG
    photo(1).JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 121
I think that the surface will need to be redone before you will get the pool to a usable state. What happens if you rub your hand on the surface, does any color come off on your hands?

It's unusual that there is no tile at the waterline.

Also, I see that your cyanuric acid went from 20 to 80 in a few days, did you add cyanuric acid?

It is important that you have never seen the bottom of the deep end. This alone makes a pool unsafe.

What is the arrangement with the landlord? Who is to foot the bill for maintenance?

That top step and some of the bricks make me think that this pool is painted plaster, in which case it will never stop clouding.

If I were in your place, and I had small bucks to spend, I'd stop brushing the pool and do the shock process including overnight free chlorine test. If you can rule out algae, and not stir up the pool, paint clouding may temporarily settle down enough for you to get to see your deep end.

You've got either algae or paint clouding or both.

This is very disappointing of course, but at least you don't own this bad boy. I know what it's like to have to face this sort if thing and be forced to do a refurb.

Rule out algae or treat the algae and see where you are then.

Good luck~~

Lana

I think that Lana537 is probably correct about this being painted, and about how it won't stop from clouding. The clouding can also cause the cyanuric acid test to read high.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.