Day 2 new pool, new plaster

ABQ_Pool

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 31, 2011
Chandler, AZ
Pool was plastered on Wed, filled on Thurs and Friday. Equipment was installed and pumping on Friday evening. I've got a trichlor puck in both skimmers and equipment is running 24hr / day. I was expecting little to no chlorine readings for the first few days, which has been true and I've been adding some muriatic acid 2-3 times a day to keep the pH below 8. My current tests are:

Chlorine: 0 (as far as I can tell...it's less than .5)
pH: 7.2
TA: 110 PPM
CH: 170 PPM

I was reading the NPC swimming pool start-up procedures, and they stress getting the alkalinity in order before moving on to anything else, and they recommend keeping the alkalinity from 80-100 ppm before dealing with pH.

My questions: I'm leery of adding any more muriatic at this point to address TA when this will drive the pH down below 7.0 - should I add it anyway?

Also, even though two pucks have been in the skimmer for 1.5 days, I'm still getting little to no chlorine readings - should I add some of the clorox or "super shock-it" (calcium hypochlorite) to bump this up a little bit?

Should I chill out on the chlorine issue? I've seen several posts where you (and other TFPers) recommend slowly bringing up chlorine, etc., but I'm about two days and and still zilch readings. My first pucks are almost gone, so I was wondering if I should stay with two pucks at a time, bump it up to three or add some of the other types of chlorine (Ca Hypochlorite or clorox)?

Stick with two tablets at a time, pump running 24/7. The CYA level starts out really really low, so it doesn't take much chlorine to keep things in shape. As the CYA level comes up the FC level will come up along with.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.