Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I did more damage than the algae

1. Back To Top    #1

I did more damage than the algae

I have a cheap Intex metal frame pool. It is 15X4 and holds 4400 gallons. We woke up after a storm and it was green. So I got a "green to blue" HTH kit from walmart. It said to put the shock in, then put this other stuff in (it was kind of clumpy and looked like clay). Then let it circulate for an hour, and then settle for 24 hours. Then I was supposed to vacuum it up. The package did say not to use if you can't vacuum, but I'm an idiot.

So I went to vacuum, and I realized that my little Toys R Us vacuum just has a mesh bag attached, so the stuff flows right through it. The guy at the pool store says that is the only type of vacuum I can use for this pool. I tried to pump it out with a hand pump, and then I rigged the hose to my pool vacuum to get it out. It kind of work, but it really circulated the stuff around.

So right now the stuff is settling again, and I'm looking for any option besides draining the pool. Suggestions?
    18'X48" Summer Waves 7600 gallons
    1 HP Hayward sand filter/pump combo
    TF100 test kit
    Still have so much learning to do

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: I did more damage than the algae

Welcome to TFP!

If there is a low spot, below the bottom of the pool, nearby you can setup a syphon with a vacuum hose and use that to vacuum it out of the pool.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Ban26ana, Welcome to TFP!
    I have the same pool!
    I went through just about the same thing. I just got a cheap vacuum head and new hose and used the siphon method over the pool wall to waste, then refill.
    Go to Pool School link at the top of the page and read all about shocking your pool and how we all learned to care for our pools now.
    My pool is always perfect and very easy to care for and maintain doing this the TFP way!
    Get a good test kit, that will save a lot of money, as you'll have a hard time of doing this yourself without one. I have the TF-100 kit. It's the best tool in my toolbox as it will fix anything that's wrong with my pool! (and with lots of help here!)
    A better pump and filter system will help a lot too.
    Go and read this section to see what I and others have done to our pump system upgrades.
    CHUCK
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/custo...ls-t28971.html
    Swim n Play 21' round, expandable 72" liner, 6FT deep center, buried 14", 12,750 Gallons
    Waterway 1HP-2 speed with 22" Sand filter
    TF-100 test kit
    Thanks to TFP my pool is perfect all the time :party:
    I now suffer from Sparklypoolitis! :whoot:
    I am a Platinum contributor because I want everyone who comes here to Trouble Free Pool to have the same success that I enjoy with my pool and family.

4. Back To Top    #4

You can put a stocking (thick, opaque, but not sweater type of weave) into the the vacuum bag that will catch the finer particles. The kind of tights girls wear, thick nylons. Toddler size is good, double up the legs inside each other for two layers.
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks! I finally got all the **** out. I should have taken a picture of my White Trash rigging system. I bought a hand pump from Home Depot, but I quickly learned that I didn't want to hand pump the entire pool. So I took the 6 foot hose that came with that. I duct taped it to my vacuum where the mesh bag would have gone. But that wasn't long enough, so I then duct taped that hose to my sump pump hose. Bonus White Trash points for the fact that I used leopard print duct tape. I ended up losing a bit of water, and it was a 3 day process (I kept having to let the stuff re-settle), but it's finally gone. Now I'm trying to get the cloudiness to go away and get the chemicals right.

I so should have taken video of me doing this. At one point I got in the pool with my clothes on and my rigged up siphon. Yeah, I was a hot mess.
    18'X48" Summer Waves 7600 gallons
    1 HP Hayward sand filter/pump combo
    TF100 test kit
    Still have so much learning to do

6. Back To Top    #6

Sounds like you would have been quite the entertainment for some neighbors

Glad to hear you got the mess taken care of.

Like the others suggested, get yourself a test kit... it will be some of the best $$ you spent on your pool!!
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits

7. Back To Top    #7

There's a mental picture that's gonna take a while to go away!

Glad you didn't let a little thing like not having the right parts stop you.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Three cheers and more!!! Talk about wanting to get it it done....way to go!!!
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem