Can't find sand

GreatCanadian

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 28, 2011
St. John's, Newfoundland
Hello folks.
Just purchased an Intex Sand Filter Pump. None of the pool shops in my area have any sand!! Is there any substitute I can use for #20 silica sand or anywhere else it could be purchased. Local Walmart, Canadian Tire, and Costco doesn't have any either. Thanks for any help you can offer.

I'm not sure where you'll find sand (we get ours at the closest pool store), but I recommend staying away from the Quikrete pool sand. When we couldn't find any locally we checked at the local Aubuchon hardware and they carried this particular brand. I'm not sure what the size of it was, but it was bigger than normal silica pool sand and the filtering ability was, as expected, negatively impacted by this.

Just trying to save a fellow operator the expense of learning this lesson.

Ace Hardware online. Dunno if they have any stores up there near you, but the HTH brand sand can be ordered and shipped to a local store for free.

I ended up with Target brand from a pool store. I prolly should have just ordered from Ace. Target specs say it's at the top of the range for particle size (per Intex specs). I hope it works. I'll let everyone know if/when it doesn't of course.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.