Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWG Conversion...what do I need to know

1. Back To Top    #1

SWG Conversion...what do I need to know

Hi guys,
    I'm a relatively new pool owner (going on 18 months) and I think I've pretty much got it in terms of taking care of my existing pool setup (thanks to this forum, no problems at all).

Our future plans are to re-do all of our pool equipment (convert to swg, new filter/pump, etc), kooldeck will be replaced with pavers, and the pool itself will be done with pebbletec (or similar) in the next 3-4 years depending on how the plaster holds up.

My question is...what is required in order to convert to swg before our major pool overhaul in a few years? I use a gallon of 10% every single day for about 4 months and 1/2-1/3 gallon the remainder of the year...it's expensive, annoying, and represents a pretty substantial storage problem. I don't know anything about the setup...I'm assuming it is more complicated than buying and installing a SWG and dumping salt into the pool...right?
    28,000 gallons / Plaster / Hayward 30" Sand Filter / PoolCleaner 4x / PoolSkim / Hayward RS1500 / CircuPool RJ60

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SWG Conversion...what do I need to know

You already figured it out All you need to to is purchase and install the SWG and add salt.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

As Jason said, that's pretty much it. You will probably want to run a higher CYA than you are now, which you can gradually bring up after conversion, & keep a close eye on PH. I have high TA fill water, but all it takes is a couple cups of muratic acid every week or so to keep the PH in check, & the TA slowly swings down in range over the 3-4 month season here in Iowa. My timer is set to run 12 hrs during the day with a 50% SWG percentage, & it keeps it at a comfortable 4-5. I haven't added a drop of liquid chlorine in the pool in weeks now. I wish I'd have converted years ago! Very trouble & maintenance free so far for me.
    12,900 Gal. 24' X 48" ABG Vinyl Round (17th Birthday)
    1HP Hayward Pump w/S180T Hayward Sand Filter
    AquaTrol RJ SWCG 2011 startup
    TFP Method since '09, TF100
    50ppm Borates, June '12

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    You already figured it out All you need to to is purchase and install the SWG and add salt.
    sweeeeeeeeeeeet!
    Thanks guys...
    28,000 gallons / Plaster / Hayward 30" Sand Filter / PoolCleaner 4x / PoolSkim / Hayward RS1500 / CircuPool RJ60

5. Back To Top    #5

It's really easy. I'm a new (old) pool owner. New owner to old pool. The most apprehensive part was cutting into the plumbing. PVC piping is relativity inexpensive so if you goof up you may have to replace some.

This site list install instructions for Compupool but you'll get the general idea:
    http://www.inyopools.com/HowToPage/h...generator.aspx
    I took pictures of my install:
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/cpsc4...ll-t32089.html

Hope the links help.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida