Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: low flow mystery

1. Back To Top    #1

low flow mystery

I am having trouble keeping a prime flow through my pool filter. Half the time I have to bump the filter when starting, or sometimes I can just turn it on and i have great flow. After it runs for about an hour the flow reduces and the water level in the pump bucket goes down to about 3/4, and the gauge reads good at about 22 psi. I have checked out some of the obvious probable causes....water level to the skimmer, blockedges, places where the filter may be pulling in air. I cant find anything. The filter and the pump motor are brand new, so im assuming they are working properly. I have a hayward D.E. filter.

Hoping someone can help

2. Back To Top    #2
    Houston, Texas

Re: low flow mystery

Welcome to TFP! How does your water look, clear or cloudy? Have you tried cleaning and recharging the filter? If this is your first DE filter, you may be surprised at how much stuff the filter catches in a short amount of time, especially if you have any algae at all. Could you please post some info about your pool, pump size, filter size, pool size in gallons/liters, pool surface, and a complete set of current test results? This will help us troubleshoot what is happening with your pool.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Coastalish 'down easter'

Re: low flow mystery

Welcome to TFP!!

As Zea sagely pointed out, you might have to "bump and dump" your filter (please see this for some info) Can you tell us what the pressure gauge read when it was first fired up and what it reads now, both before and after bumping?
    Luv& Luk

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)