How to measure high pH

My pH is always drifting over 8, likely due to my spa spillover. I think my natural level may be right around there, as I am lowering it and it constantly rises, but I want to measure it exactly to be sure it isn't too high and to see if it plateaus somewhere. How can I measure a pH above 8? I have the Taylor K-2006 kit. I know the TF-100 goes to 8.2, but I think I would need something that goes higher to be sure I'm not over 8.2. Is there a way to extraploate pH based on the acid demand test? Pool looks crystal clear and is wonderful to swim in - just want to keep an eye on things.

Current readings are:

FC: 4.5
CC: 0
pH: 8+
Acid demand: 2 drops gets me to 7.6 or 7.4 (forgot which)
TA: 60
CH: 250
CYA: 40
Borates: 50
Temp: 86 F

Thanks!

You should keep the PH below 8.0. This will be simpler if you let the TA come down further. With borates in the water you can allow TA to come down as low as 40, which should help with the constant PH increases.

Many electronic PH meters will read well above 8.0, but they require frequent calibration. None of the drop based tests give both precision and a wide range.

HofstraJet said:
OK, thanks. I will try that. But, according to Pool Calc, if I bring pH down to 7.4-7.6 and TA to 40, my CSI hits or hovers around -0.6. Any suggestions on how to handle that?
Also, as Jason noted, you only need to keep the pH below 8.0, you don't need to go down as far as 7.4 to 7.6, you can keep it closer to 7.8 to reduce pH rise.

Lowered the pH to 7.0 with muriatic acid and waiting for it to rise. Here are the numbers as of this morning:

FC: 5
pH: 7.0
TA: 40
CH: 250
CYA: 40
Borates: 50

My CSI is -0.96, according to Pool Calculator, which is bad. I expect pH to rise and hopefully level out at around 7.8. My question now is how quickly will I see problems with the concrete - is it something that happens in days or weeks? What are the early signs of problems?

Thanks!

I don't check my pool daily as it doesn't get much use - usually once a week. I lower pH with MA but the spa spillover is always causing it to rise - I would like to know what number it settles at or if it continues to rise. I believe I can live with a slightly high pH if it plateaus - I want to be sure it isn't constantly going up. Thanks for any input on the test kit mentioned above or something better.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.