REBAR VS. WIRE MESH FOR CONCRETE DECK

keithk said:
4" think concrete isn't thick enough for #4 rebar, you should have at least 2" clear on all faces of the concrete, 5" thick min concrete, 6" is MUCH better. Rebar needs to be at least 3" from the end of the concrete.

Bingo. I was about to say all these rebar recommendations were wrong, but you beat me to it. I'm an old concrete guy (thank goodness I don't do it any more!). We built our driveways with rebar in the approach and the remainder was wire. I hope you don't have anyone on your deck heavier than a car. Concrete mixed right, poured before it's hot (hot as in curing, not temperature), and installed correctly will be perfectly fine at 4" with wire for a deck.

As Keith said, too much rebar and too little concrete and you end up with a mess.

Keith,
I am in the process of getting bids for our first pool, a Leisure Riviera. The pool contractor tells me he pours 3.5 inch concrete with fiber mesh which sound like a bare minimum to me. He also uses a sand backfill. Should I look for a different guy?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.