Salt Testing

jwgillis

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 18, 2008
Yuma, AZ
My Pool Service (recently srarted) has a SGS Instruments SLDT Salinity/Conductivity/TDS meter that is NSF international certified and by which he swears by for accuracy. I have tried all manner of tests for salt and finally stayed with the strip test which I have been using for over two years. The salt test with the Pool Service meter and my salt test with the salt strip are consistently 1000ppm apart (eg meter 4750 - strip 3750). My SWG owners manual calls for maintaining my salt level @ 4000ppm. I can live with a reasonable difference between the two tests but fear that a 1000ppm may be to much of a difference. I would appreciate any comments / recommendations.

Also ... can a higher than normal salt lever cause calcium deposits?

Thanks.

None of the salt tests are all that precise, typically +-400 or worse. That means an error of 1000 is a bit much, but isn't as bad as it looks at first. As a general rule, if everything is working correctly, don't worry about it.

High salt levels just slightly reduce the chances of calcium problems.

thepoolmedic said:
I have the very same meter. It's been consistently much higher than the salt strips and salt displays on the pools that I maintain. At least you get a fancy case with this meter.
You should periodically calibrate the meter using a reference solution such as Hayward Goldline's GLX-CAL-SOL 3,200 ppm reference solution.

jwgillis said:
JamesW ... Instruction manual for the meter states "precise readings without the need for the user to ever calibrate the meter." Are you saying to calibrate anyway?
At a minimum, I would recommend that you check the accuracy against a known reference sample. Perhaps the meter really does not need calibration, but it's best to know for sure.

You might also want to consider getting a Taylor K-1766 salt test. It is a drop based titration for chloride and is very accurate for measuring salt.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.