Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Salt Testing

1. Back To Top    #1

Salt Testing

My Pool Service (recently srarted) has a SGS Instruments SLDT Salinity/Conductivity/TDS meter that is NSF international certified and by which he swears by for accuracy. I have tried all manner of tests for salt and finally stayed with the strip test which I have been using for over two years. The salt test with the Pool Service meter and my salt test with the salt strip are consistently 1000ppm apart (eg meter 4750 - strip 3750). My SWG owners manual calls for maintaining my salt level @ 4000ppm. I can live with a reasonable difference between the two tests but fear that a 1000ppm may be to much of a difference. I would appreciate any comments / recommendations.

Also ... can a higher than normal salt lever cause calcium deposits?

Thanks.
    14,000gal IG Fiberglass pool with 850 gal spill over spa, Whisper Flo 1hp pool pump, Whisper Flo 2hp spa pump, DE filter, Zodiac Clearwater LM3 SWG, "Heat Siphon" Model SX5HP pool/spa heater, a water leveler and a Kreepy Krauly cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Salt Testing

I have the very same meter. It's been consistently much higher than the salt strips and salt displays on the pools that I maintain. At least you get a fancy case with this meter.

3. Back To Top    #3

None of the salt tests are all that precise, typically +-400 or worse. That means an error of 1000 is a bit much, but isn't as bad as it looks at first. As a general rule, if everything is working correctly, don't worry about it.

High salt levels just slightly reduce the chances of calcium problems.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by thepoolmedic
    I have the very same meter. It's been consistently much higher than the salt strips and salt displays on the pools that I maintain. At least you get a fancy case with this meter.
    You should periodically calibrate the meter using a reference solution such as Hayward Goldline's GLX-CAL-SOL 3,200 ppm reference solution.

5. Back To Top    #5

JamesW ... Instruction manual for the meter states "precise readings without the need for the user to ever calibrate the meter." Are you saying to calibrate anyway?
    14,000gal IG Fiberglass pool with 850 gal spill over spa, Whisper Flo 1hp pool pump, Whisper Flo 2hp spa pump, DE filter, Zodiac Clearwater LM3 SWG, "Heat Siphon" Model SX5HP pool/spa heater, a water leveler and a Kreepy Krauly cleaner

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by jwgillis
    JamesW ... Instruction manual for the meter states "precise readings without the need for the user to ever calibrate the meter." Are you saying to calibrate anyway?
    At a minimum, I would recommend that you check the accuracy against a known reference sample. Perhaps the meter really does not need calibration, but it's best to know for sure.

You might also want to consider getting a Taylor K-1766 salt test. It is a drop based titration for chloride and is very accurate for measuring salt.