Jul 12, 2011
Piedmont of NC
This is my first year at this pool as a tech. I cleaned it last year and added the chems as I was told but didn't get certified until this year and am now, essentially the go to guy. Pool specs in my sig. Pool was drained over the winter and filled in the spring. We have been using trichlor sticks in a tower all season (since Memorial weekend). We use a Taylor K2005 to test our water but I never trust the CYA test so I take a sample in once a week to get them to test on their Waterlink to see how they compare with our K2005 results. First CYA result was 65 second was 90 and third was 90. I asked about the consistent 90 result and he said that it was much higher but he changed it to 90 because when it is over 100 their software does not offer any recommendations on what to sell me to fix a CYA problem. I asked him to tell me what the reading was and he said 150. I don’t trust this because he did not meter the water from the sample just poured it in the vial. I’m going to a different place this morning to see if I can get a more accurate reading.

Anyway, I am sure that my CYA is high. That presents two problems I need to deal with. First I need to dilute it and second I need to stop contributing to it. This is an old, private country club pool and I cannot lower the level 1/3 and refill. I verified that I can raise the pool a little over 1” each night and then filter to waste to lower it back down. Me and the manager have agreed to let the spigot (that we use to add water) run all night. Yes I said spigot. Remember, it’s a very old pool. I’m proud to say that I can count the legs on a large spider in the deep end, 8foot. It’s that clear. I expect this to be an ongoing practice for the rest of the season in order to dilute the pool. Doing this will effectively drain the pool 1/3 in about 2 weeks.
The second problem has to do with us using the trichlor in our chlorinator. One thing we have experienced with the CYA at a high level is we have no trouble maintaining a consistent chlorine level. We have only had to shock once in the last few weeks and that was because of a fecal incident. I’m wondering how we will manage next year. The trichlor is so convenient and simple. What do you guys and gals think? I need a regimen.

The CYA test in the Taylor kit is the best one available. Once you have some practice with it, it is a bit better than the CYA test in the Waterlink Express and has fewer interferences/special cases. Keep in mind that the Waterlink Express maxes out at 150, so it will report any CYA level over 150 as 150. You can use the Taylor test to get CYA levels over 90 by mixing equal amounts of pool water and tap water together, doing the CYA test on that, and multiplying the result by two.

Long term, you best option is to switch to a peristaltic pump feeding bleach/liquid chlorine. You should be able to purchase bleach in drums for less than what you are currently paying for trichlor plus soda ash, certainly less than trichlor+soda ash+water replacement.

High CYA levels are tricky to manage. If something goes wrong it can be a nightmare getting things back in balance. The sooner you can get your CYA level down to something more reasonable the better.

P.S. - We mostly deal with residential pools here. I suggest you mention that this is a commercial pool in your signature, so no one gets confused.

chem geek said:
CYA is allowed in most outdoor commercial/public pools. Only New York has banned its use. Many ban or suggest it not to be used in indoor pools. See Texas, California, Massachusetts and Florida that allow up to 100 ppm CYA in pools (most recommend around 40 ppm).

Did you know about that ban in NY prior to looking it up when I asked about it not to long ago?

X-PertPool said:
Did you know about that ban in NY prior to looking it up when I asked about it not to long ago?
Do you mean in your thread CYA banned from pools in NY? I had heard about New York banning CYA in commercial/public pools quite a while ago and wrote about it in late 2007 in this post including a link to the NY regs. I'm not sure why you're asking your question -- why do you ask?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.