Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: FC at 25 (!)

FC at 25 (!)

We went away for a week, and I left our pump running at the lowest setting and the SWCG running at 60%. We got back today, and when I did the FAS/DPD test, the FC reading was 25 ppm.

Is there anything I can do, other than shut off the SWCG, take off the solar cover, and wait for the sun to do its thing? At what level will it be safe to swim?

Thanks,

Sim
    Hydraulically mundane 20x40 rectangular polymer (~30K gal.), IntelliFlo VS+SVRS pump, IntelliChlor IC40 SWCG, Pentair CCP520 cartridge filter, LED light, 2xDeck Jets, SR Smith Turbo Twister slide

Re: FC at 25 (!)

What's your CYA level?

It is generally considered safe to swim at or below shock level in relation to CYA level.

Pool calculator will answer the question if you plug in your CYA value.
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

The most practical this is to take off the cover and let the sun slowly burn of the chlorine. You could purchase chlorine neutralizer, but it is unlikely you are in that much of a hurry.

When the pool is covered, it uses far less chlorine than it does when the cover is off, so you need to adjust the SWG down correspondingly.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    TFP Admin. Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

CYA is about 40, so the pool calculator says <=15 FC or so should be safe.

Thanks!

Sim
    Hydraulically mundane 20x40 rectangular polymer (~30K gal.), IntelliFlo VS+SVRS pump, IntelliChlor IC40 SWCG, Pentair CCP520 cartridge filter, LED light, 2xDeck Jets, SR Smith Turbo Twister slide

On the plus side...you know there's no nascent algae bloom. And it sure beats coming home to a green pond.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

Let pool drift down to normal fc level per you cya chlorine chart also if you haven't read pool school forum yet there is a ton of helpful info there...

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk
    18ft 52in deep doughboy 8000 gallons
    22 in sand filter
    1 1/2 pump
    tk-2006 test kit that rocks!
    12.5% chlorine
    aqua critter vac