Indiana Hill Billy pool dig...with pics!

You're covering the steps with liner, right? You'll have to either glue or screw (or maybe a combination of both) the bead receiver to the top edge of the steps.

Maybe one of the liner experts wil show up soon to answer all your questions.

Well, now I know why no one has trouble with the liner floating on the steps. I called the liner company and they confirmed the liner will have the bead on the steps. However, they do not supply the bead receiver. I see where some companies sell the bead receiver on the web, but these just look like the kind you would use to replace a damaged bead receiver. Is there a different kind of bead receiver use exclusively for steps?

I've only recently heard about this myself. A couple people told me that with full width stairs and corner stairs this isn't necessary, but I confess that I don't fully understand the concept. Is this on every step, or just the top? Wouldn't the normal coping at the top suffice?

I can see that the corner where each tread and riser meet could theoretically invert, but isn't this the same thing as the lower corners all along the floor seam? I think you need water to accumulate between the wall/floor and the liner in order for it to float away like that. Of course the foot traffic on the steps could add to the problem I guess.

I was originally considering full-width stairs just like yours, and then changed to a set of center steps, and now (finally?) a corner set. I was specifically told that the center stairs would require bead and receiver, but that the corner and full-width would not. I hope I'm not sending you in the wrong direction though.

As you know, I am watching your project with great anticipation, and appreciate your lessons learned!

The link in zech's post above has the item I used......SMT-8. It may have been a different brand but the idea is the same. I don't have a good mental image of corneflakes application so I'm not sure if it is appropriate.

Rain rain, go away
come again...never!

It has rained nonstop for the last week. It has certainly slowed us down, but we still get something accomplished everyday. Today, we had 20 tons of pea gravel delivered so the kids would have something to throw at each other and get all over the yard and house. We worked hard today to back fill a bit. It has really helped with the water shed and has given us a nice place to walk in an otherwise hazardous muddy mess. I have started tracking our progress by how many pair of shoes we go through. Today was a productive day!

peagravel026.jpg

The vault for the cover is finished. The walls for the vault were built with block the same way as the missing wall. Filling the blocks with concrete was a great job for the kids.

peagravel020.jpg

The mystery hillbilly admiring his work!

peagravel008.jpg

We did reach an exciting milestone. The liner was ordered today! :cheers: This is a relief because everyday someone asks us, "is the liner in yet"? This afternoon, during my daily trip to Menards, even the sales guy asked if we were swimming yet.

The light at the end of the tunnel is dim (and wet), but we can finally see it! :-D

8corneflakes said:
Rain rain, go away
come again...never!
Be careful what you wish for. You could live in Texas where I am and be in the midst of the hottest year in history and the lowest rainfall since they started recording it in 1895.

There's usually a lot of grass that dies around here during the summer, but now giant trees are dying. A lot of them right in people's front yards. Saving money by not watering your lawn is not always the best thing to do.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Liner Day!!! :cheers:

Can't believe it is FINALLY here! After 10 days of rain, wind and very cold weather, we finally got a break. It has been 80 deg and sunny for the last three days. Everything dried up and the liner is in the front yard basking in the golden sunlight. :-D

Here are a few pics to get everyone up to speed.

During all the rain, our walls heaved a bit, then cracked down the middle. Oh joy! Friday he broke out the bad areas and re-vermiculited.

liner004.jpg

The vault for the auto cover. Also, this where the first person to pee in the pool will have to sit.

liner009.jpg

Making the channel for the bead receiver for the steps...Hillbilly style!

liner012.jpg

The centipede liner.

liner023.jpg

Quick joke, How many hillbillies does it take to install a liner? :wink:

liner027.jpg

Up close and personal with the liner. It is made by GLI and it is a designer liner called Genova.

liner033.jpg

Hillbilly style, we pumped in water from the pond. Armed with my TFP knowledge, I know this will be crystal clear in no time. Guess what we did for the rest of the day! :party:

liner031.jpg

More updates later in the week.

I can't tell from the pics, are you using a vacuum to pull the liner against the walls and steps? This is the best way to eliminate wrinkles and set the liner in proper position.
BTW I really like the coping color and liner. :goodjob:
Best of luck,
John

We filled the pool with pond water and it was green! After two days, we can see the bottom. My question is about CYA. Since it is basically time to close the pool, do I even need to add CYA? It has not been sunny and I really want the bleach to work it's magic.

As a side note, I went to buy 30 bottles of bleach. When I was leaving, I joked that I hoped this would be enough to clean up the blood. The clerk said, "oh it's enough, that happened to me once." Turns out she had to clean up after her uncle was found dead in his house after 8 days and no one knew it. Touche!

Pond water sounds like a great idea, but I would think your TDS would be really high right away.
Did you smooth the edges of the steps? They look to be very sharp and I would be concerned about the liner tearing when people step on the edge of the steps. Maybe just round them off somehow, a router with a concrete bit, or even a grinder. You will obviously have to drain the pool back into the pond and pull back the liner a bit, but I think you will find it to be worth it in the long run. Unless you already did it before you installed the liner.

Back by popular demand, more Hill Billy pictures. We have been so busy pouring in bleach! We feel like we are finally seeing the fruits of our labor. The bead on the second step was a bit tricky and fell out of place. We dropped the water level down a bit to correct that and then filled it up to the top in order to get the liner to stretch over the top step. It stretched out great and really looked super. When we woke up the next morning, we had lost about 3" of water. We overlooked something on both skimmers and they were leaking buckets of water. No tears were shed since it was only pond water. Of course, we had already returned the 280 gal per minute pump. :( With our janky sump pump, it took most of the day to drain it down below the skimmers and fixed them.

We really like the 'lagoon' look of the water with this liner.

greenwater013.jpg

greenwater012.jpg

The water level is slooooowly rising again and the skimmers aren't' leaking. I vacuumed it and then brushed everything really well. When we started this project, I so looked forward to this part. However, I never dreamed that I would be wearing a heavy coat, hat and mittens. :roll:

We also started to install the auto cover today. The instructions were terrible but we figured it out just in time to pick up the kids and start running everyone to their respective sports. Hopefully we will be able to at least pull it closed tomorrow morning as the leaves are coming down hard and we caught the dog with two legs in the pool.

greenwater015.jpg

Just noticed my Hill Billy snowmobile appropriately placed in the yard even without snow. Don't worry, it's not always there...sometimes it's in the front yard! Sure could use a Hill Billy Smilie right here!

greenwater016.jpg

We have several quotes for concrete and are hoping to start that mess before November. What a long project.

Hi, Theresa,

Your build reminds me s-o-o much of my own several years ago. It's too painful for me to post how long mine took but I will say you are fast compared to what I did!! :lol: :lol:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.