Broken pipes

mcaron74

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 29, 2011
gardiner maine
I guess i dont even know where to start.....

I just bought a house from forclosure with a 20x40 laxy l pool. I am in Maine and the pool is indoors. The pool room is 45x70 with radiant heat in the concrete floor around the pool. I have NO prior info on the house other than a pool company that says they installed it 25 years ago. The pool is 4/5ths drained, the return all have plugs in them and there are 2 over deck 2 inch pvc pipes going from the sand filter back into the pool(side by side). The pool company says they have not seen the pool in several years but believe the return lines have cracked, but the skimmers are good, that is why there are over deck return lines.

Where do i start? I am already way over budget on repairs mooving into this house, I want to get the pool "fixed" ASAP so i can use it, but think i should look at the return line issue before i replace the liner?

is this overdeck return line enough to properly circulate the watter?
How do i check to see what is actualy broken, or where the breaks may be, with out watter in the pool?
Is there a way to fix lines with out digging up concrete/radiant heating?
I got a 4k quote on the liner and $500 for them to replace it... I believe i can get a liner online for $1800 and have seen u-tube videos and replacing it yourself doesnt look all that difacut? Is it worth the risk to try myself?
Budget is a HUGE concern... any help or thoughts?
I have read about the no dig- internal epoxy repair solutions, but there doesnt appear to be anyone in maine that can do a return watter line (1.5" I believe).

I have not started this project yet as i am still moving in and fixing house plumbing issues. I would like to start working on this in the next 2 weeks.

Thanks for any thoughts or advice!

It might be possible to find the break(s) in the returns. A pipe inspection company may have a fiber optic camera snake with a sone that emits a tone that a sensor can pick up telling you where it is. If the camera shows you the break, depending on the type of break, the best course of action can be selected.

This is what the pipe inspector would likely use:
http://www.plumberscrib.com/Departments ... ating.aspx

Scott

Welcome to TFP!!

Where are you in Maine? (you can PM me your info) I'm in Sanford and, if you are close enough, I might be able to take a look at it.

I honestly don't see a way to fix the pipes on an indoor pool without cutting into the deck :cry:

However, let's take a look and see if it can't be done :cheers:

I have attached 2 pics for those that are curious. Ide still appreciate anyone that has dealt with this type of thing before to answer my other questions:

Can a home owner sucessfully replace a liner.. or is it better left to the pros? ($1800 vs $4500)
Are the over board returns enought to circulate the pool or am i asking for trouble?

If you look at the old pic with the pool full in the back right you can just make out the PVC dumping into the pool for the return lines

Thanks

[attachment=0:3qccrq2q]1003727_21.jpg[/attachment:3qccrq2q]

[attachment=1:3qccrq2q]pool.jpg[/attachment:3qccrq2q]

Attachments

• pool.jpg
    pool.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 98
  • 1003727_21.jpg
    1003727_21.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 98
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.