Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Use highest value of range from pool calculator?

1. Back To Top    #1
    Kailua, Hawaii

Use highest value of range from pool calculator?

It appears that when you put in values in pool calculator it recommends you add chemicals to get to the highest value of the range (even if your values are within range). Is this what I should be doing, going after the highest value of each range (except maybe for ph)?
    24.5k gallon
    Sand filter (Triton II TR 100)
    IG tile
    Pentair VS+SVRS pump
    Sundance Chelsee spa

2. Back To Top    #2
    Portland, Oregon

Re: Use highest value of range from pool calculator?

If you enter the high values of the range into the "Target" column, the calculator uses those values to suggest chems and quantities.

The range you're seeing comes from how you set up your goals. If you enter numbers in the target column outside of those ranges, the calculator will still use those numbers to recommend quantities to get you to that particular value, same with lower numbers. Basically you control what you want the calculator to calculate for you and the ranges are listed as guidelines.

Edit: The one value I would suggest always aiming for is the high end of the chlorine range. You'll aim for this target number in the evening after swimming and sun are over. It will help you stay within the range for the next day, hopefully never falling below the minimum level for your CYA level. The next evening, you dose it back up to the high number again, and so on.
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.