Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Intex saltwater swg testing questions

1. Back To Top    #1

Intex saltwater swg testing questions

I installed the swg wih sand filter last Sunday. I am using the supplied test strip the saltwater system came with.
    My free chlorine and Total Alkalinty appear to be fine. The ph is what I do not understand. The test strips start with a light orange color and number 6.5. The top number is 8.5 and more brownish orange. When I test my strip has a mostly red and little orange in the middle.
    Does this mean the ph is too high or two low? Do I add ph down or ph up?

Also it looks like some more bronzish colored dirt on the floor. Is this bad? I used to just use chlorine and used shocked treatment. Should I ever shock the saltwater system?

Thanks for any help.
    Gish

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Intex saltwater swg testing questions

Test strips are useless. You need a real test kit (see the Pool School article Test Kits Compared). Pool store test results are better than nothing while the kit is on its way, and a full set of those would be useful.

You may also want to read "How to Shock" to understand what that term really means (it's a process, not a product that you dump in once). The rest of Pool School is useful, too, but those two are the most immediately applicable.
    20k gallon IGP
    Plaster over gunite
    3/4 hp Hayward pump
    Purex Triton DE filter
    TF100 test kit w/ speedstir

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by blamman1
    I am using the supplied test strip the saltwater system came with.
    My free chlorine and Total Alkalinty appear to be fine. The ph is what I do not understand. The test strips start with a light orange color and number 6.5. The top number is 8.5 and more brownish orange. When I test my strip has a mostly red and little orange in the middle.
    Does this mean the ph is too high or two low? Do I add ph down or ph up?
    My guess is your high, but you need a better test kit. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...kit_comparison SWG tend to cause ph to rise more than using liquid chlorine.

Also it looks like some more bronzish colored dirt on the floor. Is this bad?
    Is it sand/gritty? You could do a OCLT: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...rnight_fc_test to see if you have excessive organics in the pool, but this really requires a better test kit.
    I used to just use chlorine and used shocked treatment. Should I ever shock the saltwater system?
    Its fine to use chlorine along with the swg. The swg will probably not be able to get your pool to shock levels. During shocking I would turn it off and just use chlorine.

Make sure you read pool school (link on upper right of page), especially: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...ary_pool_guide
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you for the help