Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Think I finally killed off the algae

1. Back To Top    #1

Think I finally killed off the algae

After eight days, 65 gallons of 6% bleach, $50 worth of testing chemicals, new filter internals, new multiport valve, and sand I think I finally killed off all the algae. I've had two days of 0 over night chlorine loss and no CC. The water is beginning to clear up and look more like a swimming pool again. It's not crystal clear yet but it is improving. I added 3 cups of DE to help out (the pressure did not go up at all).

What I don't understand is why I had the problem. The pool has been crystal clear for two years and I keep a close check on the chemical levels. There was one incident about a year ago when I was out of town and the wife didn't add chlorine for a couple of days and the water clouded up. The problem was quickly taken care with just one extra jug of chlorine. Other than that I don't believe any of the chemical parameters have been out of range for even one day.

I've beginning to think that I should be shocking the pool on some routine basis - maybe once a month for 24 hours.
    20' x 40' IG with vinyl liner volume approx. 35,000 gal.1.5 H.P. main pump, Polaris 280 cleaner W/ 3/4 H.P. booster pump
    Hayward sand filter, 3.14 sq ft, 62 gpm. Stenner 45 MPH10 chlorine feed pump. 1 micron final filter bags (home made and very effective)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Think I finally killed off the algae

Without a lot more context information there is no way to even guess. It would help if you post this in one of your existing topics, where we could see some of what has gone before. At the very minimum we need water test results to make even a rough guess.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Think I finally killed off the algae

OK, sorry if the multiple threads were confusing. I tried to combine everything here: over-nite-chlorine-loss-test-failed-me-t36580.html
    20' x 40' IG with vinyl liner volume approx. 35,000 gal.1.5 H.P. main pump, Polaris 280 cleaner W/ 3/4 H.P. booster pump
    Hayward sand filter, 3.14 sq ft, 62 gpm. Stenner 45 MPH10 chlorine feed pump. 1 micron final filter bags (home made and very effective)