After eight days, 65 gallons of 6% bleach, $50 worth of testing chemicals, new filter internals, new multiport valve, and sand I think I finally killed off all the algae. I've had two days of 0 over night chlorine loss and no CC. The water is beginning to clear up and look more like a swimming pool again. It's not crystal clear yet but it is improving. I added 3 cups of DE to help out (the pressure did not go up at all).
What I don't understand is why I had the problem. The pool has been crystal clear for two years and I keep a close check on the chemical levels. There was one incident about a year ago when I was out of town and the wife didn't add chlorine for a couple of days and the water clouded up. The problem was quickly taken care with just one extra jug of chlorine. Other than that I don't believe any of the chemical parameters have been out of range for even one day.
I've beginning to think that I should be shocking the pool on some routine basis - maybe once a month for 24 hours.