Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help with My Super Pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Help with My Super Pump

Newbie here, I just had my pool installed and today the electrician came and wired everything for me. I did all of the pvc piping. When I started my super pump, it seems to run hot and I get air bubbles coming out of the return line, everything I read seems to indicate it this is caused by air leaking in the suction lines, but it seems like I have good tight joints, any thoughts? My pump is about 30 feet away from the pool.
    24' x 52" round Radiant Metric GT, Fully Buried.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help with My Super Pump

Is it consistent when you shut off either the skimmer(s) or drain?

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

it is a pretty simple design, it just has a skimmer and a return. I did not shut off the skimmer,afraid that i would have no water flow through the pump. Although the water level is about 3/4 of the way up the skimmer so I don't think I am getting air in there.

4. Back To Top    #4

What size is the pump? What size is pipe? Are the drain plugs snug? Did you use any type of thread sealant when connecting the threaded fittings?

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

5. Back To Top    #5

Check all the normal places (pump basket lid, basket drain plug(s), etc.), then you may have to run water over the fittings and piping to find the leak.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Ok I am about to loose my mind. I checked all of the connections can't find any leaks, I had the electrician come back, he said everything is wired correctly, he said he thinks it is a bad pump. I get no pressure, and the pump runs hot, if I let run for more than a few minutes it will shut down.

7. Back To Top    #7

Are you priming the pump before you start it?
    27K gal, IG vinyl, 1.5 HP pump, 24" sand filter, Goldline Aqua Plus SWG

8. Back To Top    #8

yes I was finally able to prime it, so the basket is full of water, but the pressure is really low on the filter. It feels like there is a good flow of water going back into the pool but the strainer does not seem to empty that quick.

9. Back To Top    #9

Ok so this is exactly what is happening, I have had the electricians out twice now and they are saying it is not an electrical issue but that the pump is bad, but this is what they hayward site is saying about my exact symptoms.

Why is my pump running hot and powering off?

This maybe caused by insufficient power due to an undersized wire or a poor connection. Check your owner’s manual for proper wiring.
    Your local power company might be experiencing a power drop especially during a heat wave. Restart your pump when the weather cools to confirm that the problem is really in the motor.
    Your pump has a thermal overload, which will shut the motor off when it gets too hot—it will restart once it has cooled down. Check the air intake vents of your motor to ensure they are free of debris. If debris is blocking these vents, it will cause the motor to run hot and possibly shut down.
    Make sure your pump is located in an area with adequate drainage. Flooding from rain and other sources could cause a pump to run hot and cut off.

10. Back To Top    #10

What is the pressure on the filter running?
    It almost sounds like the pump is running on 120 but wired for 240 volts. So it's essentially running half speed.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

11. Back To Top    #11

Pressure is very low like 2. I know when he was wiring it, he asked to see the owners manual to help him figure out how to wire it to 110. I had the second electrician from the same company check it, he said it was wired for 110. Also, they used a 12 guage wire but it runs about 70 feet from my box, on the hayward manual, it shows the runs going up to 50 feet.

12. Back To Top    #12

Did the electricians check the running amps while they were?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

13. Back To Top    #13

Abbysdad - we really need to know how big of pump you're using.

It was pointed out in another thread that watts are watts - whether you are using 120V or 240V. Where the difference is is in the size of the wires needed because of the different amps. 12 guage wires are probably adequate - for a steady state load of 16 amps or less. Any larger - and you should be using 10 guage, and if your run is long enough / high enough - you may even need to use 8 guage.
    16x32 IG 19,000 gallons, Pentair 1.5 hp Energy Efficient Superflo pump (348024),vinyl liner, Chlorine dispenser, Hayward S-244T sand filter

14. Back To Top    #14

It is a 1 hp pump, it has a 12 gauge wire running about 60 feet.

15. Back To Top    #15

Thanks everyone, they had it wired wrong, I kept putting the pressure on them and the third trip out was eventually the charm.

16. Back To Top    #16

I'm glad you got it fixed.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator