My girlfriend's pool... HOLY MOLY!?

soundguy

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2009
Gulf Coast, AL
I just tested her water and here are the results:

TC 6.5
CC .5
TA 0--- As soon as the 5 drops of R-0008 were added, the water turned pink.
ph- 2.4 on the chlorine scale of the Taylor K-1000 kit (the water was yellow. And I did add 5 drops of R-0014
CYA- 45
CH- 170

Are those results even possible?

And, btw, she does not keep her own pool. She has a pool guy.

Thanks.

eta... this is a vinyl pool.
I'm not sure what the pool guy uses, but it is either pucks or.... I don't even know.

if the color is yellow, it means it's below 7.2 somewhere....pH is logarithmic, so it could just be in the high 6s somewhere. Which is eminently possible, if the pool service is as incompetent as mine was.

True story: I had my own test kit but no vacuum yet, so I was retaining their services for a bit longer than I should have. On my day off, I tested and adjusted everything chemically. I knew that the water was 7.4, as I'd added a bunch of acid earlier in the day. Pool service shows, she whips out test strips to check the water. I wander out in the yard and she says, "Things look pretty good. pH was only off a little, so I added a quart of acid." She left. pH was off the scale. 'course with my pool, that fixed itself in no time, with high TA and a spillover spa...

The pH is somewhere below 4.6, but you won't be able to determine how low it is with your kit. The first thing to do is to add enough baking soda to raise the TA to about 50 ppm and then recheck everything.

With numbers like that, the first thing that I would do would be to balance a bucket of the water.

You are not looking to extrapulate any numbers or anything... The economy of scale just doesn't work that way.

You just want to make sure that the corrective actions you take on the bucket of water yield anticipated results.

You may find that you have bad TA reagents (for example)... and you add a pound of baking soda into your bucket, and you are still reading zero TA. ACK! Better to mess up a bucket than to end up accidently raising your TA to 500 based on faulty calculations.

If your bucket responds as expected, then you have a game plan to treat the pool. If not, dump the bucket and balance until you do have a good game plan.

Edit: Oh... and all the more if it's your girlfriend's pool. Things might get pretty lonely if you mess up her water. ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.