Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: My girlfriend's pool... HOLY MOLY!?

1. Back To Top    #1

My girlfriend's pool... HOLY MOLY!?

I just tested her water and here are the results:

TC 6.5
    CC .5
    TA 0--- As soon as the 5 drops of R-0008 were added, the water turned pink.
    ph- 2.4 on the chlorine scale of the Taylor K-1000 kit (the water was yellow. And I did add 5 drops of R-0014
    CYA- 45
    CH- 170

Are those results even possible?

And, btw, she does not keep her own pool. She has a pool guy.

Thanks.

eta... this is a vinyl pool.
    I'm not sure what the pool guy uses, but it is either pucks or.... I don't even know.
    16x32 Grecian, vinyl liner, IG, 19000 gal.
    1.5 h.p. Hayward Super Pump 2 speed. Hayward S244T sand filter
    Circupool RJ45 SWG, TF100

2. Back To Top    #2

My girlfriend's pool... HOLY MOLY!?

Anything is possible but a pH of 2.4 is like stomach acid! I'd get another test - even strips to check
    Steve
    Deep in the Heart......errrr HEAT of Texas
    20k gallon gunite formal

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: My girlfriend's pool... HOLY MOLY!?

Also,
    I have a very nicely (if I don't say so myself) balaced 19000 gallon swg pool and I used my TF100 kit to check her water.
    16x32 Grecian, vinyl liner, IG, 19000 gal.
    1.5 h.p. Hayward Super Pump 2 speed. Hayward S244T sand filter
    Circupool RJ45 SWG, TF100

4. Back To Top    #4

if the color is yellow, it means it's below 7.2 somewhere....pH is logarithmic, so it could just be in the high 6s somewhere. Which is eminently possible, if the pool service is as incompetent as mine was.

True story: I had my own test kit but no vacuum yet, so I was retaining their services for a bit longer than I should have. On my day off, I tested and adjusted everything chemically. I knew that the water was 7.4, as I'd added a bunch of acid earlier in the day. Pool service shows, she whips out test strips to check the water. I wander out in the yard and she says, "Things look pretty good. pH was only off a little, so I added a quart of acid." She left. pH was off the scale. 'course with my pool, that fixed itself in no time, with high TA and a spillover spa...
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

The pH is somewhere below 4.6, but you won't be able to determine how low it is with your kit. The first thing to do is to add enough baking soda to raise the TA to about 50 ppm and then recheck everything.

6. Back To Top    #6

With numbers like that, the first thing that I would do would be to balance a bucket of the water.

You are not looking to extrapulate any numbers or anything... The economy of scale just doesn't work that way.

You just want to make sure that the corrective actions you take on the bucket of water yield anticipated results.

You may find that you have bad TA reagents (for example)... and you add a pound of baking soda into your bucket, and you are still reading zero TA. ACK! Better to mess up a bucket than to end up accidently raising your TA to 500 based on faulty calculations.

If your bucket responds as expected, then you have a game plan to treat the pool. If not, dump the bucket and balance until you do have a good game plan.

Edit: Oh... and all the more if it's your girlfriend's pool. Things might get pretty lonely if you mess up her water.

7. Back To Top    #7

She's going to need lots of baking soda. Follow JamesW's advice. Get the TA up and test the pH again.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit