Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Vacuuming to waste after successfully shocking pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Vacuuming to waste after successfully shocking pool

OK, I shocked the pool and passed the OCLT test. My water is sparkling clear. Because I had so much crud on the bottom and because my cya was at 100, I vacuumed to waste so that I could rid the pool of the dead algae and also add clean water . I have now done this 3 times in 2 days and have the cya down to 85. It was well over 100. Here is my question. I am still getting brownish crud lieing on the bottom of the pool after it has been off at night. Do I keep vacuuming to waste until I am rid of it or should I just vacuum thru the filter? I am using the BBB method, no more dichlor for me!. The stairs no longer have green coming out of them . My water is as follows :
    FC=17
    CC=0
    TC=17
    PH=7.5
    TA=110
    CH=150
    CYA=85
    Temp=86
    How long should it take for all the dead stuff to settle out of the water? Thanks in advance for your help here. I just don't want to keep throwing out water if it isn't necessary.
    33 ft round x 52", vinyl
    Hayward 1.5 hp pump
    sta-rite 2.18ft ,200 lb sand filter
    24500 gal.
    Hayward Salt & Swim3

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Vacuuming to waste after successfully shocking pool

I would since you should still be lowering the CYA. 85 is still too high except for the desert south west and long periods of direct sun. Unless you have a salt cell, you would need to keep your FC at 7 or 8, a fairly significant level, cost wise. With a salt cell, it's 5 or 6. Shocking levels are very high and cost more to get to.

The crud usually gets knocked into suspension when you vacuum too fast. Slow down a bit.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Vacuuming to waste after successfully shocking pool

I kinda expected to hear that answer. Although I actually do vacuum very slowly because I don't like the crud to float up. I live in Georgia so it's pretty warm but I do think I still need to get the cya down. Had I only begun with the BBB method , life would be a dream...but then again we live and we learn, hopefully! LOL Thanks for answering so quickly!
    33 ft round x 52", vinyl
    Hayward 1.5 hp pump
    sta-rite 2.18ft ,200 lb sand filter
    24500 gal.
    Hayward Salt & Swim3