Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Muriatic Acid Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Muriatic Acid Question

I was told not to add the acid directly into the pool skimmer basket nearest the filter pump. The person told me that I should be adding the acid directly to the water at the opposite end of the pool from the filter pump as that way the acid would be diluted by the time it got to the pump and not cause damage to the pump. True?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Muriatic Acid Question

Correct, don't add acid or bleach to the skimmer. Add it right in front of a return, slowly. Don't forget eye protection.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

I pour mine into the return stream slowly. Since my return is pointed somewhat away from the skimmer, this dilutes the acid throughout the pool before i can go back to the pump in high concentrations. This, I believe is the right method. Do not put acid (or for that matter) other chems directly into/near the skimmer.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the info......