Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Recomendations for pump/filter combo

1. Back To Top    #1

Recomendations for pump/filter combo

Looking to buy a new pump and sand filter - 27' round, 54" wall - currently I have 120V service behind the pool, I will be running an aqua trol and would like to take advantage of the pump timer, so I am probably going to have to stay with a 115V pump. My budget is 600-700 dollars.

Thanks
    Clint
    27'x54" Matrix Resin - 200lb Pentair sand filter - 1.5hp Pentair optiflow 2 speed pump - Aquatrol SWG - Gorilla Pad

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Recomendations for pump/filter combo

Clint,
    I have had the Matrix for about 5 yrs now, seems fine. Starting to get a little noisy, I think that it might be time for new bearings. They now have a 2-speed model, not bad price either. I would go for the 1HP or maybe the 1.5HP if you ever plan on moving the pump away from your pool and add solar panels like I did.
    Here is just a quick look: http://www.poolsuppliessuperstore.com/p ... -7780.html
    When it comes to a sand filter, never used one. I love my cart filter. I think that they are less work, waste less water and filter the water better. But that is my opinion. If you do go with a cart filter, go with at least a 150 sq. foot.
    Mike
    Intex Ultra 18' x 52" AG 6,981 Gal.
    3 - 2'x20' solar panels
    Hayward XStream 1500 Cart Filter
    Hayward 1-1/2 HP 2-speed Superpump
    Aquabot Pool Rover
    2-Softub 300 hot tubs (yup just got one for the lake)
    TF Test Kit Doing the BBB for 7 years
    Medota Heights,Minnesota

3. Back To Top    #3

There are several combo units out there in about your price range, but they usually pair a smallish filter with a huge pump. You'll be better off buying them separate unless you can find someone to assemble a unit for you.
    For a 27' pool, my recommendations would be:
    3/4 hp full rated 2-speed pump, or a
    1 hp uprated 2-speed pump, paired with either a:
    250+ lb sand filter, or a
    200+ ft² cartridge filter, or a
    48+ ft² DE filter.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the input - I ended up going with a 1-1/2HP Pentair optiflow 2speed, and a 200lb (SD60) pentair sand filter.
    27'x54" Matrix Resin - 200lb Pentair sand filter - 1.5hp Pentair optiflow 2 speed pump - Aquatrol SWG - Gorilla Pad