Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ph is not coming down?

1. Back To Top    #1

Ph is not coming down?

I added 26oz of Borax last week, the Ph rose from 7.4 to 8.2. I added 8 oz of Ph Minus (1.75 lbs per 10,000), and it is still testing 8.2 two days later. I bought new Ph reagent, thinking this is 2 yrs old now, maybe not accurate, but the new test gives the same results. I bought a new container of "Slo Lo" from the pool store and added 6oz last night. The water still tests 8.2. This is the OTO simple test, verified by my aquarium chem set.

So my best guess is my Ph must have gone much higher than I thought, and the initial 8.2 was just the highest the test read. I am thinking dilute a sample by 50% and retest. Any chemical experts have an alternate suggestion?
    Coast Spa Fitness Wellness Infinity Spa since June 2017. 5200 Gallons, Chlorine. Previous Intex owner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Ph is not coming down?

What's your FC reading? If that's high (>10, I think), then the pH test gives false high readings. Failing that, it probably was indeed above 8.2 and you can keep working it down.

Dilution does not work for the pH test, unfortunately, so that idea won't work.
    20k gallon IGP
    Plaster over gunite
    3/4 hp Hayward pump
    Purex Triton DE filter
    TF100 test kit w/ speedstir

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Ph is not coming down?

The FC is 3ppm. Thanks for the heads up about the dilution. I just wanted to make sure it didn't take a long to time register on the test, and end up overshooting.
    Coast Spa Fitness Wellness Infinity Spa since June 2017. 5200 Gallons, Chlorine. Previous Intex owner.