Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Chiller comments?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Chiller comments?

With the last 3 weeks or so of 90+ degree heat I find my pool not being used and the wife and kids going to the local public pool, sometimes driving a little further and retreating in a local beach.

I have rigged up fountains, bought fountains. Bought paint, and the outside of our pool is now white instead of dark blue, tried running the filter from midnight to 7am. I have even bought a canopy tent to where the sun is only on the pool maybe 2-3hrs a day instead of 11-12hrs a day. I have even been stupid/crazy and drained then refilled the pool 3 times this summer only to have the water in the high 80's to low 90's 2-3 days later. We are NOT cold natured and find no relief in a pool that is over 80 degrees during the summer. To us, it is like taking a bath. Thus causing myself to rethink our large pool purchase for next spring.

I ran across a pool chiller website and was wondering if anyone has one of these and what their thoughts are.

Should I spend $1700 for one or just save my money and cancel the pool order and spend our $5-6k towards season passes to the public pool and lake each year?

http://www.inyopools.com/pool_chiller.aspx
    18ft x 48in Round Intex Ultra frame. 6,700 gallons.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Chiller comments?

The Glacier coolers work quite well. Solar panels run at night also work fairly well, and you can use them for heating as well.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

IYO, are they worth the money over the course of 5-10yrs?
    18ft x 48in Round Intex Ultra frame. 6,700 gallons.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    The Glacier coolers work quite well. Solar panels run at night also work fairly well, and you can use them for heating as well.
    can you explain the whole "solar panels run at night" thing? not quite grasping that concept.
    27' Round Sharkline Venture 17K Gallon AGP
    Pentair SD80 26" Sand Filter
    Pentair Dynamo 1.5HP Dual Speed Pump
    45MPHP10 Stenner Pump
    Aquabot Pool Rover Jr.

5. Back To Top    #5

you run the pump thru the heating channels at night so it loses heat and returns water that is colder than the pool.

Usually one runs water thru the heating channels during the day as the sun heats up the black heating channels, thus returning warm water to the pool. Running at night does the opposite, or so I've read other say anyways.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list