Still Evaluating PB Proposals; Have Questions

We're still in the planning stages of our inground pool build. We have proposals from two pool builders (should have #3 later today). Thus far, the prices are within $1500 of each other ($45K to $46.5K).

Basic pool/landscaping specs:

• Freeform shape pool
    Minimum 85' perimeter; 3.6' to 4.5' depth
    Tanning shelf and three benches
    Pool size to be approx. 15' by 31.9', with a capacity of at least 12,100 gallons
    Pool area to be minimum 382 sq ft.
    Approx. 645' of salt finish concrete decking
    Gunite shell; 6-8" walls and floor with a 12" bond beam
    Approx. 38' of limestone boulder retaining wall; total sq footage approx. 95 sq ft
    Salt system automatic chlorinator

Questions:

1. Pool builder 1 states 2" Schedule 40 PVC in a plumbing ditch using a balanced entry method of plumbing with complete envelope around pool. Pool builder 2 simply states all 2" Schedule 40 PVC. Is pool builder #1 saying their plumbing scheme is better than what a typical pool builder would use? What exactly is meant by "balanced entry plumbing method with complete envelope around pool?
2. Pool builder 1 states 1.5hp full rate pump by Jandy; 60 sq ft DE filter. Pool builder #2 states 3/4 hp Tri-Star full rate pump; 24" Hayward sand filter. Should I be concerned about one over the other?
3. Pool builder 1 states ColorLogic LED lighting; Pool builder #2 states (2) 100W 12v light. (Pool builder #1 states the lights spec'ed by pool builder #2 are designed for spa usage, not pool usage.) Is pool builder #1 correct?
4. Pool builder 1 states they use all Jandy equipment and, because of this, they are able to offer a 3-year equipment warranty. Pool builder #2 uses, as far as I can tell, Hayward equipment with a 1-year warranty. Is pool builder #1 correct in his warranty statement that, because he uses all Jandy equipment, he can offer a longer warranty?

Any and all comments/suggestions are welcome!

1. Probably means the returns are looped to provide even flow from all. Nice but not essential.

2. 1.5hp is probably way too much for a 12k gal pool unless it's a 2-speed. PB#1 is offering more value in equipment.

3. ColorLogic is newer LED tech, 100W 12V light is weak. PB#1 wins again.

4. If it's a big deal to you, but I wouldn't get too twisted about something that likely will go unused.

Put in writing what the costs of going over for the items like the wall and the concrete. I had 450 sq ft in my contract for concrete and when I got it done, it was 650 sq ft and I had to pay him $9/sq ft which is pretty high here. They pretty much have you once your that far into it. Putting it in writing what it will cost prior really makes it much better.

Ask each builder for the names and phone numbers for the last 4 pools he built.

I got references, but I later realized mine seemed to be hand picked. If you get the last 4 he built, you will get a better idea how they do business.

Talked to 2 of the PBs this evening. Both have agreed to take us to at least one pool they're nearly finished with (but not yet complete).

Have now culled the number of PBs from 5 to 3. One never got back to me when I asked him to requote with new specs, and the other was $10,000 more than the others.

My wife and I decided to stop at our local Leslie's pool store just to browse. We were chatting with their manager, and she mentioned a couple of things:

1. One of the PBs we're considering is one she wouldn't recommend. I'm not sure how much weight I should give to her opinion.
2. A suggestion she had was for us to let Leslie's quote the equipment (Filter, Pump, SWG, etc.), as she's certain we'll save some money.

What would the Experienced Ones here say to this? Should I put much stock into what she said?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Get everything done by one company that takes complete responsibility. Do not get involved in the builder doing some things and Leslie's doing other things. Besides, Leslie's is not know for being inexpensive.

She could well know something about the builders in the area that is helpful, but it is difficult to separate out how much her interest in selling you things is coloring the information.

I was actually thinking the same thing, that she was more interested in a sale than in actually providing any useful tips. What caught my attention was when she said I could get a SWG from them for around $1250....the average PB quote I've received has been around $1750 for this option. I'm guessing though, that once Leslie's installation charge is factored in, the difference wouldn't be that great.

All of the bids are for white plaster pool finish, and all allow for selection of "standard" 6" tile. (All appeared to have a wide enough selection of standard tiles to choose from, so I'm not concerned about that). Only one of the bids (the one I'm leaning towards at this point, actually) specified the coping, and that one offered stamped concrete coping. I would have to get coping details from the other two before deciding.

One of the issues I'm dealing with is that my comptroller (whoops....meant to say my lovely bride of 30 years) starts to hyperventilate whenever options are discussed. She really can't hear me well when I try to discuss them over the noise in her head of cash register ca-chings. I'm having a tough time convincing her that we should get a SWG, for example, as I travel a lot and doubt she'd be happy lugging jugs of Clorox to the pool.

(I'm still trying to reconcile the fact that the pool was her idea to begin with!). LOL

Oh my. I see. I do understand what those cash register breathing problems can be like.

Your saying that you travel a lot struck a sensitive nerve with me. Pool building can be an extremely nerve wracking experience. I remember many a phone call from me to my out of town husband and vice versa when our PB would encounter some difficulty or cut some corner. Not to mention the enormity of having so many workers and so much noise and dust/dirt everywhere...

Good luck--I wish you nothing but smooth sailing!

Lana

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.