Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Just checking: is 1.5 FC loss every day normal?

1. Back To Top    #1
    Kailua, Hawaii

Just checking: is 1.5 FC loss every day normal?

For 2 months now (since joining this forum) I've been following your lead and am happy that chemical balance has been under control and not one day of cloudy water (something that I always struggled with when I had pool guys do it). Water is crystal clear and I get all kinds of compliments from visitors - thank you very much.

I seem to lose about 1.5 ppm of FC every day. CYA is ~35-40 (still have trouble reading this) and other tests are within TFP recommended levels. I really don't mind adding bleach every few days but am curious, is this normal? As you might guess we get a lot of sun here. Should I raise the CYA to 50 ppm...would that help?

Thanks again, I recommended you guys as life savers to a friend the other day.
    24.5k gallon
    Sand filter (Triton II TR 100)
    IG tile
    Pentair VS+SVRS pump
    Sundance Chelsee spa

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW Indiana

Re: Just checking: is 1.5 FC loss every day normal?

1.5ppm would be on the low side for normal loss. You are doing well.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3
    SouthWest Alabama

If you're just losing 1.5 ppm per day, I wouldn't change a thing.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

the only way I can get down to 1.5 is with the solar cover on. On these hot days with a 105+ heat index I've been losing around 5ppm, but that's also partly because my CYA is 90ish. I try to keep it above 11.5-12, which means I'm taking it up at 17 at night and it's around 12 the next night.

add the fountain running 8-12hrs per day to cool the water and it ends up being 5.5ppm/day loss.
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]